Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to CPAP
Gross 
RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP
(11-18-2015, 06:17 PM)DariaVader Wrote: if you do, pass it on... Big Grin

Will do :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but something does not add up for me...
You were switched from APAP to CPAP BUT it's the same machine? That means that the doc. recommended setting constant pressure... Odd unless, the doc figuered out that the APAP just does not work for you... Based on what?
If you still have the APAP machine which is just set into CPAP mode, there is no question of paying for the machine yourself. You can change that setting - plenty of info on this board about doing that. "Not allowed"? Well, Maybe the doc recommended against it and I can not recommend that you do whatever your MD told you not to do but, at the end of the day, it is your decision. AFAIK, you can not go to jail for not heading the advice of your doc. and changing the settings on your machine.
What I do suggest is; first try changing the ramp settings to find the one you are comfortable with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 07:10 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Sorry but something does not add up for me...
You were switched from APAP to CPAP BUT it's the same machine? That means that the doc. recommended setting constant pressure... Odd unless, the doc figuered out that the APAP just does not work for you... Based on what?
If you still have the APAP machine which is just set into CPAP mode, there is no question of paying for the machine yourself. You can change that setting - plenty of info on this board about doing that. "Not allowed"? Well, Maybe the doc recommended against it and I can not recommend that you do whatever your MD told you not to do but, at the end of the day, it is your decision. AFAIK, you can not go to jail for not heading the advice of your doc. and changing the settings on your machine.
What I do suggest is; first try changing the ramp settings to find the one you are comfortable with.
The machine is a loaner that I was given for my titration...Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

(11-18-2015, 07:12 PM)linn Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 07:10 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Sorry but something does not add up for me...
The machine is a loaner that I was given for my titration...Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

They are still monitoring my data - so I can't touch the settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 07:12 PM)linn Wrote: The machine is a loaner that I was given for my titration...Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Ah, OK.
AFAIK and I don't know much, in order to get an APAP prescription in Ontario, you need not a home but a sleep lab study that will show that you do need an APAP. I'm speculating that the doc may want to see the difference in your results between the APAP and CPAP. Than, based on your home study, your doc may or may not recommend the APAP specific sleep lab study - an "APAP routine" for which I'm going soon.
IF, a the end, you are prescribed a CPAP but you are hard set for an APAP, if you pay out of your own pocket, you can buy whatever you like.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 07:25 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 07:12 PM)linn Wrote: The machine is a loaner that I was given for my titration...Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Ah, OK.
AFAIK and I don't know much, in order to get an APAP prescription in Ontario, you need not a home but a sleep lab study that will show that you do need an APAP. I'm speculating that the doc may want to see the difference in your results between the APAP and CPAP. Than, based on your home study, your doc may or may not recommend the APAP specific sleep lab study - an "APAP routine" for which I'm going soon.
IF, a the end, you are prescribed a CPAP but you are hard set for an APAP, if you pay out of your own pocket, you can buy whatever you like.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the Dr. will do the best he can...but an APAP is way more comfortable for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately in Ontario the only way you will get one if you do not qualify is by buying it outright. Make sure to get a copy of your prescription once it has been written. If buying outright, you cannot claim ADP assistance ($645).

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 07:54 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Unfortunately in Ontario the only way you will get one if you do not qualify is by buying it outright. Make sure to get a copy of your prescription once it has been written. If buying outright, you cannot claim ADP assistance ($645).

Thanks for the info! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Year ago I was switched from APAP to a CPAP machine ... S9 Elite. This is fully data capable so I use the Sleepyhead software and monitor my results. Doing better on this CPAP than the trial APAP, due to this forum and reading my software correctly.

Found the pressure I need to keep the passage open and don't need it to fluctuate or change through the night. Feel my mind doesn't have to adjust to changes and I sleep well, and getting good numbers.

CPAP is not a bad thing ... the data is the 'Ticket' per my limited experience (1 year).

G'luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been switched from an APAP to a CPAP.

The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?

I am surprised you find the APAP mode more comfortable than CPAP mode considering that you have a low pressure setting of only 7.6. I wonder if this is less of a CPAP vs APAP issue and one more of setting the ramp and pressure relief settings to their optimal comfort levels at the early stages of your treatment.

I guess what I am saying here is that I suspect the ability to start out at a much lower pressure with an APAP unit is only a temporary advantage in your situation. Eventually you will find that a starting pressure of 4, 5 or even 6 is too low and you will end up running in CPAP mode at your prescribed pressure of 7.6 all the time.

Of course there are many advantages to having an APAP and if you can get one for the same or almost the same price, it is worth the try.

Is an APAP a lot more expensive?

If you fail to qualify for Ontario ADP funding for an APAP device, yes its going to be a lot more expensive! Even if you have private insurance, they may not pay if ADP won't. Also, once a vendor in Ontario knows you are not going through the ADP program, they are no longer forced to sell at the ADP controlled price and won't hesitate to tack on another $500. Also, you will still need a prescription for an APAP from you physician even though they know you failed to meet the ADP requirements.

If you have private insurance, they will need a statement from the ADP program stating they won't pay and the ADP program won't issue the statement unless your physician provides them with proof you failed to qualify for the APAP device. Its complicated and can take months. It can be done and may be worth a try if you have a good private insurance plan. I have been through it and now have an APAP unit I run in CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 10:38 PM)Riven Wrote: ......

If you have private insurance, they will need a statement from the ADP program stating they won't pay and the ADP program won't issue the statement unless your physician provides them with proof you failed to qualify for the APAP device. Its complicated and can take months. It can be done and may be worth a try if you have a good private insurance plan. I have been through it and now have an APAP unit I run in CPAP mode.

Not all private insurance works the same in Ontario. I am covered for only $1,000. lifetime, BUT I cannot collect any of it if I do not first utilize the ADP of $645 towards a CPAP (Auto CPAP if qualify) machine. At least I am able to buy from any source; in store, online, USA, as long as my name & address are listed on the purchase order. I'm guessing I can even do ebay as I've heard some of the best prices for parts can be had on ebay. It also helps that we have started spending upwards of 5-6 months in the US yearly, so I'll be able to take advantage of the free shipping usually offered only to US residents.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.