Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from Bipap to straight Cpap and feeling worse
Switched from Bipap to straight Cpap and feeling worse
Hello all -

I have used a Philips Respironics Remstar Auto A-Flex for several years set to 10cm and feel great when I am on it. I use the c-flex feature and have the pressure back off the maximum extent when I exhale, which I've found is pretty comfortable. However, I recently purchased a Transcend II travel cpap for travel because of its compact size (also set to 10cm) but notice I feel terrible after sleeping with it.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be? The only difference I can think of is that the Transcend is a straight cpap while my old Respironics has a bipap feature. Is it possible I need a different pressure when using straight cpap vs. bipap? Perhaps the straight cpap pressure needs to be lower?

Would greatly appreciate any insight anyone has.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched from Bipap to straight Cpap and feeling worse
Hi room2048,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just some random thoughts?
I've been on a CPAP/BI-PAP for about 16 years now. Started on a CPAP and switched to a BI-PAP 5 yrs ago. Why the switch? My fairly high setting on my CPAP was causing me to hiss, get a dry mouth, wake up, and more. When I switched to the BI-PAP, we dropped the exhale setting fairly low which really increased my comfort.

I kept my old CPAP as a backup machine.

I found that when using my old CPAP (still at the correct pressure for me), that my sleep is very poor, and I wake up a lot. NOTE: the sleep quality is still better than if I use nothing, but not nearly as good as using my BI-PAP. I find that I simply cannot switch back and forth at all.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2013, 10:33 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I find that I simply cannot switch back and forth at all.

Thanks for your reply. When you were on the regular cpap those years, did you generally feel good? I wonder if it just takes a lot of getting used to and that it's the switching back and forth that is the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2013, 11:45 AM)room2048 Wrote:
(09-30-2013, 10:33 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I find that I simply cannot switch back and forth at all.

Thanks for your reply. When you were on the regular cpap those years, did you generally feel good? I wonder if it just takes a lot of getting used to and that it's the switching back and forth that is the problem.

Yes~! I was really, really bad, never dreamed, could not eat the first 4-5hrs after waking, could sleep anytime, anywhere, within moments.

My 'dream machine' is the greatest health improvement of my entire life.

As we increased my pressure, the need for the switch to BI-PAP became more pressing. The switch didn't change the level of events at night, but rather my overall comfort level when awake with mask on, and solved the mouth and tongue dryness in the morning issue for me.

For me, the only thing worse than switching back and forth, is simply not even using a machine at all.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
For me, the only thing worse than switching back and forth, is simply not even using a machine at all.
[/quote]

Question: if you were to stop bipap and use the cpap regularly do you think you'd get over the adjustment phase and feel okay after awhile?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2013, 10:01 AM)room2048 Wrote: I have used a Philips Respironics Remstar Auto A-Flex for several years set to 10cm and feel great when I am on it. I use the c-flex feature and have the pressure back off the maximum extent when I exhale, which I've found is pretty comfortable. However, I recently purchased a Transcend II travel cpap for travel because of its compact size (also set to 10cm) but notice I feel terrible after sleeping with it.

The REMstar Auto with A-Flex is not a BiPAP. If set to do so it will adjust the pressure as needed. Do you know for sure that it's set at a fixed CPAP pressure of 10?

If so, then the only difference between it and your new Transcend is the C-Flex feature. It reduces the pressure by up to 3 cm on exhale. Perhaps the fact that you're missing this prevents you from getting a good night's sleep.

I would guess that after a while you would get used to it, though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

Question: if you were to stop bipap and use the cpap regularly do you think you'd get over the adjustment phase and feel okay after awhile?
[/quote]

Yes, I believe that this is an area that once your body gets used to the change, you (your body) won't even remember how it used to be.

Like the post above, it sounds more like a feature change rather than a CPAP BiPAP change - but what do I know?

I do think it's sort of like the folks that try different masks constantly, they can't settle in and get a good night's sleep because of the constant change. I personally need patterns in my life, and the simple act of a change disturbs my sleep badly. So deciding to use one machine all the time would be a great help to me.

I only keep my old machine as a backup in case the new one dies or something.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 12:10 PM)Peter_C Wrote: "...I do think it's sort of like the folks that try different masks constantly, they can't settle in and get a good night's sleep because of the constant change. I personally need patterns in my life, and the simple act of a change disturbs my sleep badly. So deciding to use one machine all the time would be a great help to me."

Gets worse as you get older. (The need for consistency in ones life.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my Humble Opinion:
I would think that if you are used to a Bi-PAP the logical alternative would be an
auto-CPAP since that will float you at the more optimal pressure and you should sleep better for it.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.