Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched off EPR, large leaks normal?
Switched off EPR, large leaks normal?
I tried switching Off EPR(3) last night, and raised Min Pressure from 8 to 9, and reduced Max 20 to 13 (i.e. bracketed 95% point by 2cm either side) to see if I could improve on the already "treated" AHI (it didn't have any significant impact within the normal range of values)

90% Leak rate jumped significantly (2% to 12%) and noticed my mouth was now open a good chunk of the night (where as it hasn't been so far).  Had very dry mouth this morning too and blew through a tank of water and obviously feel tired.

It's an Airlift P10 with Airsense 10.

Going to switch back to the previous settings tonight.  Is changing to opening your mouth the way the body compensates for the increase in pressure with nasal pillows, i.e. too much pressure and you start to need a chin strap?

Last night EPR Off, Min/Max 9-13
[Image: 62DPeA2.png] 

Previous Night:  EPR(3) Min/Max: 8-20:
[Image: 0Zt3znB.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched off EPR, large leaks normal?
You might have switched too much at once. Lowering the EPR will force you to put more effort into exhale (you might even feel like you can't breathe). Increasing pressure can also force you to put more effort into exhale. You may be tugging at the mask because it's too hard to exhale (it might become easier with practice), ergo LEAK!

If you're raising the pressure, keep the EPR the same until you adjust. After you adjust, make another change.

Maybe you could post your SleepHead chart with the panel that shows pressure. This should tell you if there is a relationship between the pressure and the leak. You could even zoom in on what is happening with the wave forms when the leak initiates.

Then, using SleepyHead, you'll also be able to tell whether a pressure change helps you, an EPR change helps, or both.

The issue might not be exhale, necessarily. You could have fidgeted with the mask for most any reason including the air was too dry, the dry air was making you itch, so you just had to scratch your nose....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched off EPR, large leaks normal?
I would keep the 9-13 or even 8-13 pressure and add the EPR back in. I assume that was more comfortable, and I don't see any reason not to use it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 439 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 267 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 289 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 449 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 336 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 530 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 205 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.