Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched to APAP
Switched to APAP
Hello everyone, I have been on CPAP since June 11th. I was put on 10 cm h20. I have a Respironics System One. I use the Resmed AIr fit P10. I love the machine and the mask. I was on it for a month and was getting AHI's of around 1.7 to 3 until I decided I needed a chin strap that then put me down to 0.6 to 1.2 AHI. My omly problem was that at a constrant 10Cm h2o, I was very bloated during the day amd expelling it a lot. When I found out that I could set my machine to APAP, I did so and set it for 8 to 13 cm h20. After doing that I no longer had the bloating and I noticed my 90% is 9, so I have not been hitting my prescribed 10 cm. However, since going to APAP, my AHI"s have increased to 2.6 to 3.3. I know that I am ok if I am below 5 but I am wondering if I should set my lower limit closer to 10 if it gives me better readings? I am afraid I will go back to the bloating then. Should I stay where I am at and be comfortable and forget about the higher readings, or try to adjust for the lowest AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched to APAP
Welcome to the forums. You indicate you're using your machine in APAP mode. Is this a PRS1 60 Series Auto (560P), or a Pro 460?

The answer to your question depends on the composition of your apnea events. You can download the Sleepyhead software for free and install it on a computer to read your SD card from the machine. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ Using the software and being able to identify the types of events, and when they occur and at what pressure is going to help you figure this out, and to give us information that will allow more accurate feedback.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a REMstar Auto (System One 60 Series). I have been using Sleepyhead since I started, not quite sure how to read everything. I have only been on auto for just under a week, so maybe I need to give it more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, when looking at sleepyhead daily summary data, you will see each even has an index value. The sum of OA, H and CA is your AHI. There is also information on flow limitation, snores and leaks. What is the typical distribution of events? Do apnea events happen in clusters, or are they distributed through the night? How do leaks, snores and flow limitations look? Are the values high or low?

After about 8 posts you will be able to post the graphs. Here is a tutorial on how to post what we're looking for. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Getting back to your original question, what is more disruptive for your sleep, apneas or air ingestion? It's okay to trade off at the levels you are at. A low level of AHI rather than pain of air ingestion may be the choice you ultimately make.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those of us with aerophagia have to find a best compromise between apnea events and pain and discomfort. I think that this is where the auto mode can be very beneficial enabling one to operate at a lower overall average pressure and still be able to prevent most of the obstructive apnea events.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 03:00 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Those of us with aerophagia have to find a best compromise between apnea events and pain and discomfort. I think that this is where the auto mode can be very beneficial enabling one to operate at a lower overall average pressure and still be able to prevent most of the obstructive apnea events.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Payton, did you increase your min EPAP? I thought you were running lower pressures. (Although I recall your machine selection was based on ability to supply >20cm-H2O)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I am running min EPAP 14.0, max IPAP 20.6, PS 4.0. That seems like it is just enough reduction of the average pressures from bilevel 16/20 to reduce the aerophagia. It has made my AHI slightly higher on the average but not too bad. I did not come up with aerophagia until after I had been PAPing for 4 years or so. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. I thought at first that the back pain was muscular and I do have some of that too.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 09:22 AM)tsmith3605 Wrote: Should I stay where I am at and be comfortable and forget about the higher readings, or try to adjust for the lowest AHI?
I would not worry about AHI at this stage, comfort is more important
AHI would sort itself out in due course

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tsmith3605,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like you have got some good answers. Sleep-well
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 490 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 549 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 193 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.