Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched to APAP
RE: Switched to APAP
Thanks for all the help, I am gonna stick wit APAP for awhile yet and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 09:22 AM)tsmith3605 Wrote: Hello everyone, I have been on CPAP since June 11th. I was put on 10 cm h20. I have a Respironics System One. I use the Resmed AIr fit P10. I love the machine and the mask. I was on it for a month and was getting AHI's of around 1.7 to 3 until I decided I needed a chin strap that then put me down to 0.6 to 1.2 AHI. My omly problem was that at a constrant 10Cm h2o, I was very bloated during the day amd expelling it a lot. When I found out that I could set my machine to APAP, I did so and set it for 8 to 13 cm h20. After doing that I no longer had the bloating and I noticed my 90% is 9, so I have not been hitting my prescribed 10 cm. However, since going to APAP, my AHI"s have increased to 2.6 to 3.3. I know that I am ok if I am below 5 but I am wondering if I should set my lower limit closer to 10 if it gives me better readings? I am afraid I will go back to the bloating then. Should I stay where I am at and be comfortable and forget about the higher readings, or try to adjust for the lowest AHI?

Hi tsmith3605,
You could move your starting pressure to 8.5 and see if that makes a difference for you as long as you don't experience the aerophagia. If you do, then move it back down. I know that can be a "pain" to deal with. Don't make too many changes, give it time to work; maybe a week to 10 days.

The only other thing is if you are tracking your therapy on sleepyhead, check and make sure where your max pressure is. Does it goes as high as 13? If not, you can lower it by .5 also. This way you would be at 8.5 to 12.5. Sometimes the small changes make a big difference.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will give that a try. Max pressure did hit 10 last night one time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 12:15 PM)tsmith3605 Wrote: Thanks, I will give that a try. Max pressure did hit 10 last night one time.

A lot of people don't feel that the max pressure is a concern, but with the system one machines, they will raise the pressure in response to flow limitations and snores, even if no apnea event is present. That rise in pressure can affect your sleep, but in your case if the pressure goes up to 13 may cause more aerophagia, which is what you want to avoid. So watch that for awhile and if the max doesn't rise that high, then you are pretty safe in lowering it a bit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 490 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 547 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 192 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.