Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched to AirCurve 10 VAuto
RE: Switched to AirCurve 10 VAuto
Last night, without any apneas of any type, and no flow limitations, it started gradually ramping pressure up from 9 to 10 (it starts at 9 and I set max to 10 as a test yesterday).  The only thing I see is that my breathing was about 10 seconds for full inhale/exhale cycle... and once I fell alseep it dropped to 5 seconds... the VAuto algorithm must be looking at other things in addition to obstructives and flow limitations to determine when to increase... it was a very slow ramp from 9 to 10 over 90 minutes with absolutely no events of any type except one central before the ramp started.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is your question why the pressure went up? It would help to see the entire night, plus the left panel and the following graphs:

events
flow rate
pressure
leaks
flow limitations
snores.

Did the pressure increase bother you?
Post Reply Post Reply
It did not really bother me... I am just trying to understand what can cause it to rise... I have been decreasing the top # from 14, 12, 10, because at the higher numbers I do swallow a lot of air. At 9 I don't. On my old DS I had fixed 9 with EPR 3 (which is about PS 2)... so I was just playing with the ResMed to see if auto gave me any benefit.

Is Auto mode with no range (ie. EPAP 6, PS 3, IPAP 9) exactly the same as S mode, or is there anything else different with the algorithms, respiration curves, triggers, etc. between the two modes?
Post Reply Post Reply
Snore graph is not shown and can cause pressure to rise, if I had to guess it was the cause. The pressure rise is surprisingly consistent which made me wonder if it is related to ramp function but the pressure appears to drop slightly at the end which wouldn't happen if it was ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense...

I am seeing, almost every night, that for the first 10-15 min, my tidal volume is all over the place and the flow rate shows long breaths... then after a few OA/CA's, the flow rate settles down to regular breaths and tidal volume levels out.  So, I guess that is just the way I fall asleep.  I do correlate those falling asleep events with an O2 drop, but then everything is pretty stable for the rest of the night.  Including those falling asleep events, I am usually between 1-2 AHI each night... if I take those out, I am below 1... so I guess it can all be ignored and continue with the current therapy settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're right to ignore the falling-asleep pattern. About S mode: I believe that for some reason you don't see data about flow limitations when you're in that mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct.  No flow limitation data in S mode.  I will leave in VAuto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Momentary O2 drops are not an issue, only worth worrying about if they are happening often or for extended periods of time.
Post Reply Post Reply
You wrote “ it was a very slow ramp from 9 to 10 over 90 minutes with absolutely no events of any type except one central before the ramp started.”

Does this mean you had the ramp set at 90 minutes? If so the machine does not record any events when the machine is on ramp. It only starts showing events while on therapy pressures not ramp.

If I missed read or misunderstood- I’m sorry
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
stacey... no, i used the word ramp, but i meant steady increase based on auto mode.  I have ramp disabled.

But, as a way to have those falling asleep events ignored from nightly AHI score, may be I will try enabling ramp of a very small amount like 0.1, over 15 minutes... and may be that will exclude the junk while falling asleep from my overall numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 312 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 570 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,516 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 472 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.