Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switching from full face mask to nasal mask
RE: Switching from full face mask to nasal mask
Keep in mind with nasal pillows, most people initially select too small of a pillow size. Larger is better. They don't seal inside the nose, but on the nose. As long as the openings are not outside the nares, it fits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2017, 07:00 PM)Aeolus Wrote: Have any of you noticed an inflection point above which nasal masks & nasal pillows don't seem to work as well? My PA said that if I ended up needing a high pressure then a FFM would probably be required. Tonight will be my first night with a PAP machine (treatment before titration), but even trying the FFM on today I was thinking that something that allowed me to put my glasses back on would be nice.

I was told that Pillows WILL NOT WORK at my RX (at the time 18 cmH2O).  That is an outright mistruth, alright, that is a lie!

I am able to successfully use ResMed P10 Pillows with a Bilevel at an Rx of 25/21 PS 4.  This is a fixed mode of pressure with inhale at 25 cm, exhale of 21.  I doubt anyone uses anything higher.  Just to be clear, this is based on actual use.

I'll add that I go thru periods, not always, when I'm mouth breathing,  I still use the Pillows as my daily mask.  Please read the Mask Primer (see my sig) and read all.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2017, 10:40 AM)bonjour Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 07:00 PM)Aeolus Wrote: Have any of you noticed an inflection point above which nasal masks & nasal pillows don't seem to work as well? My PA said that if I ended up needing a high pressure then a FFM would probably be required. Tonight will be my first night with a PAP machine (treatment before titration), but even trying the FFM on today I was thinking that something that allowed me to put my glasses back on would be nice.

I was told that Pillows WILL NOT WORK at my RX (at the time 18 cmH2O).  That is an outright mistruth, alright, that is a lie!

I am able to successfully use ResMed P10 Pillows with a Bilevel at an Rx of 25/21 PS 4.  This is a fixed mode of pressure with inhale at 25 cm, exhale of 21.  I doubt anyone uses anything higher.  Just to be clear, this is based on actual use.

I'll add that I go thru periods, not always, when I'm mouth breathing,  I still use the Pillows as my daily mask.  Please read the Mask Primer (see my sig) and read all.  

Fred

Ditto

My RX is 16/25 RS 5
immediately I had to reduce EPAP to eliminate aerophagia (suffered that VERY bad at prescribed pressure)
started out with a FFM, switched to a pillow. 
machine currently set to 12/23 RS 5 with a pillow (F&P Brevida)
I have a Dreamwear on order to try. Apria so who knows when I'll get it.

BIGGEST change for me switching from a FFM to a pillow
Large leaks are all but eliminated. Could NOT get LL under control with a FFM. with a pillow, I occasionally will get a LL spike (my guess its a open mouth)
I use a chinstrap and get a little red marks from that. FFM was a constant red mark battle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, Bonjour, Whacked.... your informative and personal stories lend a lot of insight into pillow mask usage.  This is the the kind of affirmation of I've been looking for.

Great-info  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.