Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidifier water
RE: humidifier water
(05-23-2014, 09:42 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The hot water tank can add minerals to the water, often harmful minerals, that you really shouldn't consume. Use fresh cold water when you cook, drink or humidify, and nice hot water when you take a bath.

Well, tomorrow is Saturday. So, yeah, I'll be bathin' whether I need it or not!

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2014, 10:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 09:42 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The hot water tank can add minerals to the water, often harmful minerals, that you really shouldn't consume. Use fresh cold water when you cook, drink or humidify, and nice hot water when you take a bath.

Well, tomorrow is Saturday. So, yeah, I'll be bathin' whether I need it or not!

Yes, but it's not the first Saturday of the month.... So I'm still good to go.

Post Reply Post Reply
There has been a lot of discussion on this over the years.

The Apnea Board Wiki has an article on this.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...fier_water

The most important point is that the water used should not be biologically active. Untreated water from underground wells, creeks, Rain water tanks etc, should not be used.

Town water is fine except for the nuisance of salts that deposit in the evaporation process.
De-mineralised or so-called distilled water from the supermarket is also widely used - although the bottles often carry a disclaimer to the effect that the product should not be used in medical equipment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water in my humidifier, but I still use Polident denture tablets once a week to clean the tank. My local CPAP supplier said they work well to prevent any buildup that may be on the walls of the tank. They are inexpensive. I use two at a time. One time I purchased an off brand and they didn't seem to work as well. I don't know if this is something that is necessary, but I've been using them all along. I let them fizz for about 3-5 minutes and then rinse the tank and cover well with hot water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Solution of 1 part vinegar and 10 parts of water is recommended to clean water tank

I have not used anything but hot soapy water to clean the tank and have not seen any deposit builds either using tap water, manufactures recommend distilled water
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.