Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switching from nasal mask to nasal pillow mask
Switching from nasal mask to nasal pillow mask
I'm using a Resmed S9 autoset with a nasal mask. I believe the pressure is set at 16. I want to change to a swift fx nasal pillow mask, Will I need to change any settings on the S9.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching from nasal mask to nasal pillow mask
Hi Dewayne759,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The only thing you might want to change is the mask settings from nasal to pillows.
Hang in there for a better explanation.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
you should change your mask type from nasal to pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Each manufacturer wants you to use their own masks, Resmed have mask type selections and Respironcis have some mask resistance settings

The idea in selecting mask type so the S9 can work out unintentional leak
Both nasal and nasal pillows masks intentional leak rate at pressure 16 are more or less the same. You,re not going to see such great difference
Post Reply Post Reply
I switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows and am so glad I did. I sleep so much better...as some have stated in other threads that I've read, the less contact a mask has with my face, the less leaks I should have...and I've found that to be so true. My leaks have gone down significantly, even down to zero most of the time, not to mention that I have more freedom in movement.

However, one issue that I've not had before, and it just started the last couple of nights, even though I've been using the nasal pillows for a week and a half now...

I've woken up in the middle of the night with water dripping from my pillows...to the point that my bed pillow is wet around my neck. I've stopped the machine and took the pillows away from my nose and water drips profusely.

Okay, so one would assume that my humidity level was too high. I had had it set at 4 with my nasal mask and had left it there since switching to the pillows. When the dripping first happened in the middle of the night, I dried my pillows off and turned the humidity level down to 3. I still had some problems with water, so the next night, I dropped it to 2....STILL woke up with water dripping out of my pillows.

I don't have a cold and have not been stuffed up, so it's not coming from me...I don't think. But why in the world is this just starting to happen when I've been on CPAP now for 7 weeks and have been using nasal pillows for over a week now?

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dewayne759

If you are changing over to nasal pillows, why not go for the the ResMed AirFit P10, instead of the Swift FX? With the P10, you get whisper quiet ...

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 01:02 PM)BamaSteve Wrote: Anyone else ever have this happen?
I don,t use nasal pillows but the problem that you,re describing, is coming from your own breath (not rainout)

Hose cosy for the short hose between the main hose and the mask might helps

Post Reply Post Reply
My wife used a nasal mask for five years and hated it. Her DME and doctor never told her there were other options. She hated the mask and finally switched to an oral appliance. She was having some problems with the appliance (caused by some health problems) and switched back to the machine. I let her us a Swift FX nasal pillow mask of mine. After a couple of night she said if she had known about pillows she might have stayed with CPAP.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
It's really easy to change the settings on the ResMed S9 AutoSet to Nasal Pillows. Press the setup button (the rectangular one with the two check marks in boxes). At the next screen press the dial on the right twice, and then turn it left to go down the "list" to get to the section that says "Mask". Press the right button again when it is highlighted, and then turn the dial left or right until it shows "Pillows". Press the right dial once to "accept" your choice, and then press the set up button (the one with the two check marks) again to get back to your main menu.

By the way, I use the Swift FX nasal pillows with my ResMed S9 AutoSet, and my pressure is set for a range between 11-17, with a 10 minute ramp up from 8.0. They have been working great for me. Just make sure you use the right size of pillows for your nose, adjust your headgear properly, and hopefully you will be comfortable and not have much leakage at all.

Also, another thing to know -- many insurances will cover 2 nasal pillows per month. If you use them too long they will get too "soft" and you are more apt to have leakages. When I first got mine, I thought they were to be replaced every 3 months, just like the mask, but I later learned that they work best when changed more often.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 01:02 PM)BamaSteve Wrote: I've woken up in the middle of the night with water dripping from my pillows...to the point that my bed pillow is wet around my neck. I've stopped the machine and took the pillows away from my nose and water drips profusely.

I just had this happen but I didn't switch the settings to nasal pillow from mask. I'm going to try that tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 43 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 90 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,584 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.