Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switching to FFM - Amara View vs Airfit F10
Switching to FFM - Amara View vs Airfit F10
I've been on therapy for only 4 months, so I'm still pretty new to all of this. I'm using the Airsense 10 Autoset w/ humidifier and climateline tubing. I started with the P10 nasal pillows, and initially was getting some great results. But, over time, I've developed this annoying habit of pushing my lips/jaw up during the night to keep the pillows in place resulting in a sore jaw when I wake up. I also have noticed I'm "pushing" my tongue to the roof of my mouth to keep my mouth from leaking air. I grind a bit at night, and now I've started waking myself up at night by biting the underside of my tongue with my back molars because of where I'm pushing my tongue. Crazy, huh? I've done all sorts of experimenting with the pillow size and strap adjustments, but I think I've decided to try out a full face mask. I really think I'm a natural mouth breather, and also like the idea of having the ability to fine tune the adjustment more than I can with the P10.
So...with all that said, I'm trying to decide between the new Amara and the F10. Of course I like the idea of the Amara being lighter, less intrusive, and off the nasal bridge. But, being so new, there's just not a lot of feedback to review. I've also heard the air outlet is on top and pushes air towards the eyes? Have any of you tried the Amara compared to the F10? I leaning toward the Amara, but am wondering if there's something I'm not considering?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching to FFM - Amara View vs Airfit F10
The new Amara View is just starting to ship out now. Supplier #1 is now shipping it. I'm interested in that mask also so hopefully we'll get some reviews soon.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 1slick02,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I've never used a full-face-mask, (FFM,) so I am unable to tell you much about the Amara View, it sounds like an interesting mask, though.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The Phillips Respironics Amara View Full Face Mask is a good mask, it's easily adjusted and works very well for me. I found that the ResMed Air Fit F10 is designed for people with a narrower nose bridge and it pinched the bridge of my nose. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks LexTac. I'm not 100% certain but I believe the ffm I tried at titration was the F10. It was either that or one that looked just like it. There are probably dozens just like the F10 so who knows. Couldn't get a comfortable fit. I asked my DME about the Amara View but she didn't have one on hand yet
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using this mask a week and have had positive results. I was previously using an F10. Here are my results:
-I personally get a better seal with this mask. With the F10 I was generally between 5 to 10 L/min. With this mask I am getting 0-2 L/min.
-I can wear my reading glasses with no interference. It's much better than the F10 in that regard.
-I find the mask to be more comfortable than the F10. For me it gets a better seal with less tension on the straps. It also has less contact area on the face.
-It's much less claustrophobic than other full face masks I've tried.
-The headgear is more comfortable as it has a greater contact area creating less pressure. My F10 straps left indentations in the back of my neck and on top of my head. This did not occur with the Amara View. It also sits higher, away from the soft area on the back of my neck. There seems to be more padding in the Amara headgear as well.
-My events/hour have dropped in the first week from ~1.2 average to 0.2 average. Need more nights to confirm this as a real improvement. May be due to a better seal as I use APAP mode with a range of 11-13.
-The nose seal slightly irritates the underside of my nose. I may be sensitive in this area as I couldn't stand nasal pillows due to nostril irritation. I can live with this level of irritation though on the Amara View.
-I'm not a big fan of the plastic attachment clips or the quick disconnect on the tube on the Amara. I find the F10 to be more easily removeable, but I can adapt to the Amara for the other benefits of seal and comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't seem to avoid air leaks with the F10.

I switched to the F&P Simplus and have had more success.

Don't know anything about the Amara.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 04:48 PM)Toesinsand Wrote: Been using this mask a week and have had positive results. I was previously using an F10. Here are my results:
-I personally get a better seal with this mask. With the F10 I was generally between 5 to 10 L/min. With this mask I am getting 0-2 L/min.
-I can wear my reading glasses with no interference. It's much better than the F10 in that regard.
-I find the mask to be more comfortable than the F10. For me it gets a better seal with less tension on the straps. It also has less contact area on the face.
-It's much less claustrophobic than other full face masks I've tried.
-The headgear is more comfortable as it has a greater contact area creating less pressure. My F10 straps left indentations in the back of my neck and on top of my head. This did not occur with the Amara View. It also sits higher, away from the soft area on the back of my neck. There seems to be more padding in the Amara headgear as well.
-My events/hour have dropped in the first week from ~1.2 average to 0.2 average. Need more nights to confirm this as a real improvement. May be due to a better seal as I use APAP mode with a range of 11-13.
-The nose seal slightly irritates the underside of my nose. I may be sensitive in this area as I couldn't stand nasal pillows due to nostril irritation. I can live with this level of irritation though on the Amara View.
-I'm not a big fan of the plastic attachment clips or the quick disconnect on the tube on the Amara. I find the F10 to be more easily removeable, but I can adapt to the Amara for the other benefits of seal and comfort.

I was just at my cpap office today and will be picking up the Amana in August . Really appreciate you review on this and I agree with the clips are awkward. I also wished that it had the same removeable front attachment like the Quatteo however will hope more people that have used this will keep us informed!
Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are talking about a quick disconnect the Amara has one, it's just different. On the F10 the quick disconnect connection is downstream of the elbow allowing insertion directly into the mask at any angle of elbow rotation. With the Amara, the connection is upstream of the elbow so you have to align the connection and the elbow direction. It's not a huge deal, just sometimes requires you rotate the elbow then make the connection. No rotation required on the F10, just insert. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been on this mask for 10 days now. Here are my night by night leak rate results in liters/min. 6,6,5,4,2,0,1,0,0,0. After initial adjustments, I'm getting great results, far better than I've gotten with other masks. Everyone's face is different, but this is a great mask for me as it gets a great seal with good comfort.. I sleep on my side most often, but occasionally will sleep on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,183 2 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.