Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are centrals my big problem
RE: Are centrals my big problem
I merged the two threads together.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: further to are centrals my big problem
(10-01-2015, 07:54 PM)SleepyWabbit Wrote: My understanding is that a regular cpap does not help with CAs, only OAs, RERAS and HAs. Central are where the brain does not send the "breath" signal. The other events are where your throat is partially or fully obstructed. CPAP (Continuous Passive Air Pressure (I think)) forces your through open so you can breath. It can't force your brain to send the breath signal.

You are right, regular CPAPs do not normally treat central apneas but high pressure or pressure changes may precipitate CAs and if that is the case, some pressure adjustment may help.

(10-01-2015, 07:54 PM)SleepyWabbit Wrote: Another thing to think about is is only guessing what kind of apnea event you are having. It can detect a partial or blocked airway by sending pressure pulses and measuring the resistance. If it sees your airway is not blocked but you are not breathing, than this may be a central apnea. Without an eeg, it can't know for sure.

The algorithm on each machine is different. I could be way off in left field here. If I am, hopefully someone corrects me.

Right again. It takes an EEG to definitively score central apneas. The machine can accurately tell if you are breathing or not and can reasonably accurately determine if your airway is open or not. If your airway is open and you are not breathing for 10 seconds, it is a pretty good bet that you are having a central apnea.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 592 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,118 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,962 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 174 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,523 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 276 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,875 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.