Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] 5 year cpap user - suddenly, lots of loud snoring and rainout?
5 year cpap user - suddenly, lots of loud snoring and rainout?
This is my first time posting, so apologies if I mess any of this up!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2014, and got my cpap around September of that year.  I got off to a slow start, but I can confidently say that for the past four years I have had near 100% compliance with my machine.  It's an old machine - and sorry if I butcher the name here - but there are a million names on it.  Phillips Respironics RemStar Pro System One with C-Flex +.  I've never had any trouble with it.  After my initial diagnosis, I was set at a pressure of 8 and sent on my way.

Periodically over the past 4 years, I have been told I've been snoring.  Each of those times, my doc recommended a pressure increase.  My boyfriend has told me that within the last couple months I am snoring so loud most nights that he needs earplugs.  When I went to my doc recently, he recommended the same thing - pressure increase - so I'm now at a 14.  This entire time, my AHI has been well controlled  - usually a .5 - although per sleepyhead data it's now averaging 1.88.  I know that is still phenomenal, but more than a 100% increase.  The increase to 14 happened about a week ago, and my boyfriend is still reporting snoring every night.  The last couple months I have also felt more groggy than normal.

The other thing that has started happening regularly for the past month is rainout - every night, regardless of humidifier setting.  That has never happened to me before even once in the past 4 years, and now it happens every night. 

I have changed nothing in the past four years regarding my machine - same mask, same everything.  I haven't gained weight.  I checked my sleepyhead data and the VS2 is definitely registering many spikes every night, as high as 50 - but I read on this board that there isn't a good handle on what exactly that is measuring.  

I will be eligible for a new machine in September - my insurance company won't let me get it even a little early.  I requested an auto pap so the pressure can adjust throughout the night, but I am stuck until then.

So, I would love some insight.  On the snoring - what could be causing this?  Why isn't the pressure enough?  What other routes should I go to investigate?  And the rainout - why now is this happening?

I can upload any sleepyhead data that could be helpful, but wasn't sure what that would be specifically - so just let me know and I can drop it in.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 year cpap user - suddenly, lots of loud snoring and rainout?
Always upload SH data and organize it per the organization link in my signature and turning off the piechart and calendar as that allows other important info to show.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 year cpap user - suddenly, lots of loud snoring and rainout?
in regards to the rainout....  please check the humidifier mode.  in the "setup" menu....check to see if the "system one humidification" is on or off.   if it is off, that would explain the excessive rainout.  turning it on should solve the humidifier issue.  

for snoring.... since you've already increased the pressure significantly.  the issue might be from tucking your chin.  Might want to look into trying a soft cervical collar or wedge to keep your neck positioned properly.  

those were my 2 thoughts on the matter....good luck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Bilevel and lots of CAs Thorne88 0 21 59 minutes ago
Last Post: Thorne88
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,816 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,628 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,481 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,496 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.