Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Advice for FFM Problems
Advice for FFM Problems
Friends,

First, I want to thank everyone for your past postings and advice - they've been very helpful to me as a first-time CPAP user. All of it helped me navigate three months of frustrating doctor visits but now I can wear a mask. (yay!)

My goal is to wear a mask all night long, preferably on my side.

However, I have 3 remaining issues and wanted to discuss possible solutions with you:
1. Sweat: I sweat with the mask, but it looks like either Remzzzs or Pad-a-Check will reduce this. Other ideas?

2. Headaches: Believe the bottom straps of my FFM are too tight. However, when loosened, there's leakage from the bottom of my chin. Possible causes/solutions: this mask's cushion is too old, need a different mask, use the Padacheek Anti-Leak band. Other ideas?

3. Chin Leakage: Building off of #2, my jaw slackens when I'm about to fall asleep, so there's leakage near the chin. What type of mask (or solution) do you recommend to prevent the leakage? I was thinking of trying the Mirage Quattro...Other ideas?

In case my profile doesn't show up, I use a heated humidifier (very dry mouth), need full face masks (couldn't breathe using nasal masks), and am using the ResMed Quattro Air (size Small). I'm a petite female, overweight, and the doctor said that my jaw is slightly pushed back into my throat (partially causing my sleep apnea).

I realize this is a trial-and-error process so I appreciate any words of wisdom you can offer.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for FFM Problems
Hi HappyD,

I too have to use a full face mask. I just can't get enough air through my nose, particularly lying down. I have found that the F&P Simplus mask works very well for me. I have a deep horizontal crease between my lower lip and chin. It is so deep, I have trouble shaving that area. The Simplus mask is very soft and pliable where it actually touches your face. Beyond that edge around the mask, it has more stiffness and structure. I have found that you don't need a lot of head/neck band tension to maintain a seal. With too much tension, it will cause leakage. If your provider has one of these masks, you should give it a try. It was the best of the ones I tried when fitted recently.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jeff - thanks for the rec. I've read about the Simplus, so I'll add it to my list of masks to try. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
First thing come to mind, why cannot you breathe using nasal mask?
What nasal or nasal pillows masks have you tried and what sort problems have you encountered?

Dry mouth goes with mouth breathing, cannot be helped much using FFM
There is always a trade off
Sweats, turn down humidifier a little and see if any improvement, liners helps

Straps should be tight enough to seal but not too tight so it hurt or cause a headache
If you need it too tight to seal, might be the wrong size or type
AirFit 10 uses the same cushion as Quattro Air, might be worth a try

I replace mask cushion routinely, approx 3 months and wash it daily
If you're on insurance, check with your provider about replacement schedule
Here are Medicare guidelines http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...6_Medicare

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HappyD,
I ended up with a Mirage Quattro after trying a few FFM. Eventually went a size up to medium because my mouth relaxes as well upon falling asleep .Leaks are minimal.
Sometimes it takes awhile to tweak the head gear ,as in a few nights, but now I magic markered precisely the gear so when I change it I have a template. Also the forehead adjustment for me really helped, then again , tweeking.
Good luck,
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a Simplus as suggested. You wont regret it
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer your questions:
Nasal Masks/Pillow Masks: Unfortunately, I can't breathe through my nose because my turbinates are so swollen. Four doctors have suggested different surgerical options, but aren't sure if any of them would help with the sleep apnea. As a result, I've put this on the backburner.

Sweat: Thanks for the reminder to turn down the humidifier. Due to the winter, it was at a 5.

I'm on a small mask, but interesting - I'll look at the Medium sizes as well for both Simplus and Mirage.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HappyD,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I will second the recommendation for a larger size mask. My lower jaw relaxes and drops but never enough to escape the seal in my Mirage Quattro. It does it while I am awake and does it when I am going to sleep so I must assume that it probably does it while I am asleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I called my doctor and she also suggested going up a size. I'm heading in tomorrow to try out both of these masks in Medium. Thanks again for quick replies, so I can hopefully solve this soon!

Everyone including trish6hundred, thanks for the warm welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 1 hour ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 9 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,011 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.