Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Allergic reaction
Allergic reaction
I just went for my second sleep apnea test & wore the mask that just covers nose. Next day have red puffed up marks around where mask was. It is swollen also. Could I be allergic to type of plastic on mask? I wore full mask about 6 years ago & had same problem on my face where mask touché my face. That was reason I actually quit using mask back then. Made red whelps on my face that I couldn't get rid of until quit using mask. Whelps are pretty significant. Has anyone ever had this problem or been allergic to mask? I go to dr Monday to see about ordering my new CPAP machine. Should I ask him about allergic reaction if whelps are gone from face by then ? I am insurance agent and it is a little embarrassing to meet with clients with whelps all on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Allergic reaction
You might need to work with a dermatologist and determine what type of plastic you are allergic to. Once you've determine that, a DME should be able to provide an appropriate mask without the offending plastic. On the other hand, you may have to opt for a dental device.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you used the mask 6 years ago, was that also for a sleep study? Or was it your own mask? You could also be having a reaction to the cleaning product used to clean the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ktapley,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might check into the cloth masks, by Circadiance called SleepWeaver, and see if they will work for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you start over with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible to be allergic to the silicone material of the mask, although it is more likely you reacted to the heat.

Can you wear stretchy material such as neoprene or spandex? Or tolerate rubber or latex on your skin?

There's a company that makes liners to prevent leaks. You can always wear these to keep the mask from touching your skin. Or use nasal pillows which has less contact. But of course, only if it is not an allergy reaction.

If you still have the welts now, take a photo of yourself so you can show the doctor.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,464 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,819 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  Is this reaction to Apnea normal? Daz1980 5 848 06-03-2021, 03:22 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Auto EPAP algorithm reaction time for Aircurve ASV Michaely6 33 3,250 10-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Michaely6
Question [Equipment] Resmed-AirSense 10: Where to set the Autoset-reaction "SOFT"? Ferdinand 2 2,344 07-05-2019, 03:41 AM
Last Post: ericxob
Question Allergic reaction [to silicone in mask?] Cliffh 9 2,663 05-24-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Cliffh
Question Resmed Air Mini reaction soft christian4870 4 3,154 07-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Last Post: sonicboom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.