Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Can you sleep on your back?
Can you sleep on your back?
I have not been able to sleep on my back in ages due to snoring and choking. Even with my Dreamstation CPAP on, I still can not do it. Is my machine not set correctly or is this something I simply will not be able to do ever?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you sleep on your back?
You should probably download OSCAR and post your data so people here can help you with your settings.

My initial off-the-cuff thought is that if it only happens on your back, your chin might be dropping toward your chest and that is causing the choking. You may need to wear a soft cervical collar.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
zenzealot,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

You should be able to sleep on your back if your machine is set up optimally for you. Although, sometimes that's not the best position as it can cause chin tucking and more apnea events.

You've really given us very little information to be able to give you advice. Please fill out your profile accurately, with exact machine name, mask, and pressure settings.

I suggest you download the OSCAR software. Then use the links in my signature line to post a screenshot of the OSCAR daily page, and post data here. This way, we can see what your settings are and what exactly is going on.

And to answer your thread title question: Yes, I can sleep on my back, but I will usually experience more apnea if I do. Sometimes, it's a trade of between AHI numbers and comfort.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get dramatically higher AHI if I sleep on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought all things being equal if you have your cpap machine set correctly to eliminate most events you could sleep on your back.  Of course this is assuming you are not chin tucking.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not just chin-tuck that makes sleeping supine a generally bad idea; when we sleep, we relax.  Relaxing happens pretty much everywhere that doesn't respond to the autonomic nervous system...breathing, peristalsis, heartbeat, kidney function, liver function, brain activity...  Eeverywhere includes the facial muscles, the pharynx, and the tongue.  Relaxed muscles sag under their own weight, and this happens to the tongue, which will slide back into one's throat. Tucking one's chin won't help by any means, and that's why we recommend a cervical collar for those who simply must do much of their sleeping on their backs, or who resort to that position very shortly after falling asleep (most of our hands go up).
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but what is AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, we have to start from the beginning.  We tend to talk here and use alot of terms that we assume all new folk just know, when that's not always the case.

AHI (Apnea hypopnea index)

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/AHI

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions

Visit our wiki as there is alot of information available.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it strange that almost every mask demonstration video shows the person lying down almost always on their backs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot sleep on my back to save my life. If I try to do so, it feels as if I have a ton of weight on my chest. I can nap easily enough in my recliner though. 

In bed, I go from sleeping on one side to the other. I can kind of, sleep on my side / stomach for short periods of time. 

I'd love to be able to sleep on my back. Problem is.......I can't.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.