Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Dang I'm tired
Dang I'm tired
I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea last year when I had an endoscopy for terrible heartburn. The nurse in the recovery room told me she was pretty sure I had it watching me in the recovery room. Had a home sleep test, tried the dental device, didn't work, then after a few months my dog ate it. The home test said I had 5 episodes an hour (of course I tossed & turned all nite, don't think that was taken into account) oxygen levels dropped to low 80's. Now have gone months in limbo, have to wait 2 months to have a sleep test in the lab.
Can mild sleep apnea and be so horribly tired? I don't go anywhere after work, I want to call in sick every day because I'm exhausted, my house is dirty, my husband is loosing patience, I've gained weight, my throat is always sore, I have terrible heartburn, snore like a banshee, fall asleep at lunchtime, yadda, yadda, yadda. I truly believe my sleep apnea is worse than the home test showed. I bless the nurse who discovered my problem, I think I would have honestly dropped out of life entirely. I wish the test would be sooner..I'm just rambling....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dang I'm tired
AHI is not the whole story. Oxygen drops into the low 80s can make you feel terrible, and can cause symptoms. RDI is another number that should be calculated. If individual apneas are long rather than the short 10 sec ones, they can be very impacting. Good luck on the lab test... perhaps consider getting a sleeping aid prescribed so that they get lots of sleep to analyze.

Call them and let them know you wish to be put on a cancellation list. Alternatively, find another provider.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, Mary, that sounds horrible! I second Daria's suggestions about calling to see if there are cancellations or possibly looking for another provider, although I know that's not always possible.

You might try to make sure you're not sleeping on your back. That could help a little if your apnea is positional. I have also known people to raise the head of their bed if they have reflux problems.

I take a beta blocker for high blood pressure and had an awful problem with reflux when I was at a higher dose than I'm at now. Not saying that your reflux is being caused by medication, but it's something to look consider.

I'm assuming that you're probably taking a proton pump inhibitor drug like esomeprozale (Nexium) or omeprozale (Prilosec) for the reflux.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyMary,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would try to get on the cancelation list so that you could get your sleep study done sooner.
Much success to you as you start your sleep apnea journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 11:02 PM)SleepyMary Wrote: Can mild sleep apnea and be so horribly tired?

Yes. You can never get into the deeper levels of sleep needed to get good rest so you feel tired all the time. It also contributes to other issues such as GERD, anxiety, and impaired cognition.

See if you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for an auto-adjusting CPAP based on your home sleep study results and your symptoms. Your insurance may not pay for it, but you can buy a good second-hand machine for often less than what your insurance co-pay would be for a new one.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to my sleep doctor (clinician, researcher, and med school professor), CPAP can help with GERD, the pressure may keep the acid where it belongs.

It certainly helped me with GERD, allowing me to reduce my PPI dosage.

Hang in there.

Steve
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
My PCP suffers from GERD and told me that they don't know why CPAP therapy helps, but they know it does.

He also told me that the surgical procedure for treating GERD is under development, works now for only a few years, and shows promise for improvement in the future. One of the problems is that medicine like Prilosec stops working after a few years.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.