jennie54 Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics System One
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironics
Humidifier: REMstar Pro DOM System One
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Other conditions include nasal allergies, acid reflux, mitral valve prolapse and overweight

Sex: Female

Daytime Apnea?
I have moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea - diagnosed about 8-9 years ago and have been religiously using CPAP (full face mask) for the past 4-5 years. My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average. My newest concern is that for the past 3 or 4 days I find that these episodes are happening during the day while I'm wide awake. Mostly when I'm idle, sitting and watching TV or lying in bed before going to sleep. I just stop breathing for a few seconds and I have to make myself breathe again. When this happens it continues every few minutes for a while until I get up, move around and stop thinking about it. I am 40-50 lbs. overweight & I know that don't help at all, plus I have acid reflux and nasal allergies. It's scaring me that just out of the blue these apneas are happening while I'm wide awake and I don't know what this means.
11-29-2015 09:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

RE: Daytime Apnea?
My best guess would be: It's time to see your doctor(s)! oldman

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 09:53 AM by PollCat.)
11-29-2015 09:52 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Definitely something you should discuss with your doctor. There are many reasons from simply needing to adjust your CPAP therapy to more severe (and more rare) a tumor or CCHS. Sounds like since it has been more than 8 years since your last diagnosis, I assume it has been at least that long since you had a sleep study. Might be time for a new study to see if your therapy needs have changed.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
11-29-2015 11:24 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Weird Tolkienish Figure Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics Dream Station Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus FFM Medium
Humidifier: Respironics Dream Station Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 15?
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I have been doing this for all my life, at least since middle school.
11-29-2015 01:36 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

The process of breathing during sleep is considerably different from the process of breathing while awake.

The lessons learned about "sleep apnea" don't really apply that much to daytime breathing problems for most people.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-29-2015 01:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Sleep apnea is called that because it is a sleep disorder. It does not happen while we are awake. These muscles and tissues that collapse during an obstructive apnea event are voluntary. That means we control their movement. So when awake, we control them just fine.

Central sleep apnea is when the brain gets confused and tells the body there is no need to breathe. There is no collapse, no struggle, no anything. Just no breathing. We don't wake up and gasp because the brain and body sees no reason to. Again, this is a sleep disorder.

Can a central event happen during the day? Yes. Certain people with brain tumors, brain injuries, etc can have difficulties with this. HOWEVER, we often hold our breath for no reason whatsoever. And it seems as though the more we pay attention to it, the more we do it. If we are sitting still, doing nothing, our oxygen needs are low. Our respiratory rate slows. It may seem to be really, really slow. If we notice how slow it is, we may feel it is too slow or we are holding our breath when we are not.

In the 8-9 yrs you've been on CPAP, has your pressure ever been adjusted? Have you had any other sleep tests? Regardless, see your GP. Get a physical.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-29-2015 02:14 PM
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0

Other Comments:

(11-29-2015 09:14 AM)jennie54 Wrote:  I have moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea - diagnosed about 8-9 years ago and have been religiously using CPAP (full face mask) for the past 4-5 years. My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average. My newest concern is that for the past 3 or 4 days I find that these episodes are happening during the day while I'm wide awake. Mostly when I'm idle, sitting and watching TV or lying in bed before going to sleep. I just stop breathing for a few seconds and I have to make myself breathe again. When this happens it continues every few minutes for a while until I get up, move around and stop thinking about it. I am 40-50 lbs. overweight & I know that don't help at all, plus I have acid reflux and nasal allergies. It's scaring me that just out of the blue these apneas are happening while I'm wide awake and I don't know what this means.[/size][/font]

Exactly my issue. I was not having centrals. I had COPD on top of sleep apnea, happens fairly often and is called overlap syndrome.
11-29-2015 04:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Jim Bronson Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

It happens to me too from time to time. I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with SA. In my case, it is likely related to anxiety. It happens especially when I'm trying to do something that requires manual dexterity or precision. It is not something I do intentionally.
11-29-2015 05:05 PM
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(11-29-2015 09:14 AM)jennie54 Wrote:  My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average.

This level suggests that your apnea is not really being properly treated. You should get in touch with your sleep doctor immediately just on that account alone.

Other than that you've given us very little information - are these sleep apnea episodes obstructive or central? How long do they typically last? What is your AHI, and if you don't know what that is - time to get educated.

Remember that you care more about yourself than anyone else can, including your doctors. It's up to you to take proactive steps to deal with this - don't just leave it to someone else who can't know you as well as you know you and can't possibly care about you as much as you care about you. You've made a good start by posting here, just don't stop at that.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
11-29-2015 05:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Continuous (daytime) deep breathing/sighing sw232562 12 975 08-20-2016 05:19 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Gross Shortness of breath daytime ezdrifler 7 831 08-17-2016 02:36 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Daytime fatigue stories! jessamnda 10 760 07-24-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: ger365
  How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment? susilosaja 19 1,748 07-18-2016 10:15 PM
Last Post: Grover64
  Daytime Apnea? nuttnhunee 29 14,107 07-17-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Ohmy Can starting to use cpap berelated to daytime anxiety? ezdrifler 4 572 01-25-2016 11:27 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  The thoughts that I have on Apnea Board, and two other Apnea/PAP related forum ares. BiLevel48 16 4,519 04-30-2015 07:27 AM
Last Post: AlanE