Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Daytime Apnea?
Daytime Apnea?
I have moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea - diagnosed about 8-9 years ago and have been religiously using CPAP (full face mask) for the past 4-5 years. My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average. My newest concern is that for the past 3 or 4 days I find that these episodes are happening during the day while I'm wide awake. Mostly when I'm idle, sitting and watching TV or lying in bed before going to sleep. I just stop breathing for a few seconds and I have to make myself breathe again. When this happens it continues every few minutes for a while until I get up, move around and stop thinking about it. I am 40-50 lbs. overweight & I know that don't help at all, plus I have acid reflux and nasal allergies. It's scaring me that just out of the blue these apneas are happening while I'm wide awake and I don't know what this means.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Daytime Apnea?
My best guess would be: It's time to see your doctor(s)! oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely something you should discuss with your doctor. There are many reasons from simply needing to adjust your CPAP therapy to more severe (and more rare) a tumor or CCHS. Sounds like since it has been more than 8 years since your last diagnosis, I assume it has been at least that long since you had a sleep study. Might be time for a new study to see if your therapy needs have changed.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been doing this for all my life, at least since middle school.
Post Reply Post Reply
The process of breathing during sleep is considerably different from the process of breathing while awake.

The lessons learned about "sleep apnea" don't really apply that much to daytime breathing problems for most people.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea is called that because it is a sleep disorder. It does not happen while we are awake. These muscles and tissues that collapse during an obstructive apnea event are voluntary. That means we control their movement. So when awake, we control them just fine.

Central sleep apnea is when the brain gets confused and tells the body there is no need to breathe. There is no collapse, no struggle, no anything. Just no breathing. We don't wake up and gasp because the brain and body sees no reason to. Again, this is a sleep disorder.

Can a central event happen during the day? Yes. Certain people with brain tumors, brain injuries, etc can have difficulties with this. HOWEVER, we often hold our breath for no reason whatsoever. And it seems as though the more we pay attention to it, the more we do it. If we are sitting still, doing nothing, our oxygen needs are low. Our respiratory rate slows. It may seem to be really, really slow. If we notice how slow it is, we may feel it is too slow or we are holding our breath when we are not.

In the 8-9 yrs you've been on CPAP, has your pressure ever been adjusted? Have you had any other sleep tests? Regardless, see your GP. Get a physical.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 09:14 AM)jennie54 Wrote: I have moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea - diagnosed about 8-9 years ago and have been religiously using CPAP (full face mask) for the past 4-5 years. My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average. My newest concern is that for the past 3 or 4 days I find that these episodes are happening during the day while I'm wide awake. Mostly when I'm idle, sitting and watching TV or lying in bed before going to sleep. I just stop breathing for a few seconds and I have to make myself breathe again. When this happens it continues every few minutes for a while until I get up, move around and stop thinking about it. I am 40-50 lbs. overweight & I know that don't help at all, plus I have acid reflux and nasal allergies. It's scaring me that just out of the blue these apneas are happening while I'm wide awake and I don't know what this means.[/size][/font]

Exactly my issue. I was not having centrals. I had COPD on top of sleep apnea, happens fairly often and is called overlap syndrome.
Post Reply Post Reply
It happens to me too from time to time. I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with SA. In my case, it is likely related to anxiety. It happens especially when I'm trying to do something that requires manual dexterity or precision. It is not something I do intentionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 09:14 AM)jennie54 Wrote: My pressure is set at 12 and I still stop breathing 5-6 times/hour every night on average.

This level suggests that your apnea is not really being properly treated. You should get in touch with your sleep doctor immediately just on that account alone.

Other than that you've given us very little information - are these sleep apnea episodes obstructive or central? How long do they typically last? What is your AHI, and if you don't know what that is - time to get educated.

Remember that you care more about yourself than anyone else can, including your doctors. It's up to you to take proactive steps to deal with this - don't just leave it to someone else who can't know you as well as you know you and can't possibly care about you as much as you care about you. You've made a good start by posting here, just don't stop at that.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 97 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,748 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,073 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub
  andielv's Therapy Thread - Daytime Drowsiness andielv 5 624 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: andielv
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,117 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any tips or tricks for daytime fatigue? Rook83 0 478 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Rook83

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.