Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Dehydrated
RE: Dehydrated
(02-13-2016, 08:18 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I always feel dehydrated using the Therapy. I have been sleeping without it one day a week and do not feel dehydrated on those days,

I have the humidity set @ 8 on my Machine

Aany suggestions?

Hi Orangebear,
Yes, it's unusual to feel better by sleeping without. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I did that. Sad

Make sure you are well hydrated during the day. There are also mouth rinses you can use before bed that are made for dry mouth, and be sure to use a nasal gel to help keep nose from drying out.

An addition of a room humidifier could help.

Could you post some stats from Sleepyhead? There may be something else in play that is causing you to feel so bad?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding sleeping without the machine...I last did this about 1-1/2 years ago when I forgot the adapter cord on a trip to a national park where a replacement was impossible. My hopes for a romantic evening and good sleep was changed to a terrible night with little sleep and an early return home. It's that bad.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I feel exactly the same way after using the CPAP technology. In fact, I've been drinking water and herbal tea since I woke up about 7 hours ago, but I still don't feel rehydrated. The quickest way for me to get rid of that "dried out" feeling in my throat and head is to take another steamy shower in the morning. I didn't do that today.

The dehydration is a concern to me because it makes me more susceptible to cold and flu viruses. I think I'm just going to have to figure out how to come up with the money to buy humidifiers for my whole house.

I live in Appalachia, and it gets much less dry here when the weather gets warmer.

(02-13-2016, 11:29 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Thanks Green wings. I will give the shower a try.
I feel dehydrated in the morning when I take off the mask and start my day. My moth nose and throat feel dry until around noon. I have been drink around 16 ounces or water in the morning to compensate

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm another person who so far feels better when I sleep without my CPAP. When I do sleep with it, I don't wake up with a headache and my blood pressure goes to about 140/90 (the best it has gotten so far - I am still hoping for further improvement or it may be that I need a BP meds adjustment.

When I sleep with the CPAP, though, I wake up feeling more tired and achy than when I don't sleep with it. I have fibromyalgia and autoimmune arthritis, so waking up with some level if muscle and joint pain is typical for me.

I really had hopes that the CPAP therapy would improve my energy level, and I still hope that vi have only been using the therapy for about a month and my AHI is staying around 4.5. At the moment, I don't have any device to download my data to look at. I am working on trying to get something. My laptop's display got broken last month.

I keep checking my blood pressure every morning, because that's my main positive reinforcement for using the CPAP right now. And it *is* nice not to wake up with a headache every morning.

(02-14-2016, 01:12 AM)Possum Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 11:24 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Why the wonder?
I feel better when I sleep without the machine. id that unusual?

Yes, that is unusual. This type of therapy is prescribed to improve health and make you feel better, and in general it is not prescribed if unnecessary. That said, if you are not feeling better then something is not right, and you will need to work on optimizing your therapy.

People on this board can help, but you will need to provide as many details as possible, be open to taking charge of your therapy, and learn how to improve it on your own,if your doctor is not helping you sufficiently.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will look into that
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 06:43 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard Orangebear!

Do you have a ClimateLine Heated hose? Using that and setting it on auto is supposed to automatically adjust the humidity based on the conditions of your room. It might help if you're not already using one.

I will look into the heated hose is there any compatibility issues with the maching
Post Reply Post Reply
The climate line hose works just fine with the A10. I use one.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Orangebear.

I had a problem with extreme dy mouth a few weeks ago due to mouth breathing in my full face mask. Biotene gel helped me more than the mouth rinses. While not a solution, it may alleviate your problem until you work out a solution. It comes in a tube like toothpaste and is found with the toothpaste where I shop. I put a little in my mouth, spread it as best as I can and swallow the rest. It stopped the worst of the dryness in my mouth and throat.

Good luck,
pupcamper
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
(02-14-2016, 08:03 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 08:18 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I always feel dehydrated using the Therapy. I have been sleeping without it one day a week and do not feel dehydrated on those days,

I have the humidity set @ 8 on my Machine

Aany suggestions?

Hi Orangebear,
Yes, it's unusual to feel better by sleeping without. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I did that. Sad

Make sure you are well hydrated during the day. There are also mouth rinses you can use before bed that are made for dry mouth, and be sure to use a nasal gel to help keep nose from drying out.

An addition of a room humidifier could help.

Could you post some stats from Sleepyhead? There may be something else in play that is causing you to feel so bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Orangebear,
Looked at your stats, and didn't see anything unusual.

Your leaks look ok. The only thing I noticed is that your pressure bumped up to the maximum pressure a good part of the night. That may mean that the top pressure should be raised a bit. Try 14.3 or 14.5. I don't think your AHI numbers are bad at all.

Your start pressure is good around 10 or 10.5. I would turn off ramp if using, or set it to start at 8 for 15 minutes.

In relation to the dryness issue, someone recommended a heated hose, which is a good idea. Besides that, there are dry mouth rinses, and nasal gels to try.

When I first started, I experienced a lot of dryness too, but after a couple months, it all settled down. It just takes some persistence and playing with the humidity settings to see if it makes a difference for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.