Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Dry Mouth
RE: Dry Mouth
Yeah, I think the issue with FF masks is battling leaks, which is a big problem for a lot of folks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy to hear you can get saliva by rubbing your tongue around your mouth, but my dry mouth can far exceed that level!   Thinking-about With the Xylamelt in place, I do that maneuver several times a night to spread it around and that does get the saliva going.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a dry mouth problem even with a full face mask. It affects my sleep and I have get out of bed to drink water. I have tried biotene and xylamelts. They seemed to help just for a few hours.  I have allergies which don't help the situation so I recently started to use  generic flonase nasal spray and generic Benadryl . It seems to have improved. I also have a tendency not to drink water throughout the day and I feel that I could be slightly dehydrated. I have been purposely trying to drink more water.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP - As you can see, there is no universal "fix." Dry Mouth is the #1 complaint according to my RT. People are different. Some solve with more humidity, some solve with less humidity, some solve with zero humidity. Some use FFM. Some use tape. Some use foam collars. You need to try different things and see what works for you.

In my case, I read somewhere that using a "standard" size 19mm inside diameter hose, as opposed to the "slimline" 15mm inside diameter hose, may help some people. The rationale is that delivering XX quantity of air requires more pressure with a small hose than with a bigger hose. 19 is 25% greater than 15. I find it hard to imagine a given amount of air, so thought about water instead to illustrate the concept, and the concept made sense to me. So I tried the larger hose and it works "for me, " decreasing (but not completely eliminating) my dry mouth. Only ~$5 online, so cheap to experiment. I have also used sugar-free cough drops (won't cause cavities). Good Luck. Persevere!
Post Reply Post Reply
I did the test with the chin guard and it did not work, 
did the test with the 3M Micropore tape and it did not work, and finally 
I reread the article by Dr. Bortolotti and I decided to do a test to try to keep the atmospheric pressure in the closed mouth.

I have prepared a cannula that I keep in my mouth so that, even with my mouth closed, the internal pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure.

In this way, it is natural to close the istmum fauci indicated by Dr. Bortolotti and improves the treatment with the APAP as there is no contrast with the pressure inside the mouth.

I have been doing the experiment for two nights and together with it I try to sleep on my side.

There were improvements in desaturation that did not drop below 95%.
I raised the values of the APAP to 7.6 - 11 and AHI is now 0.59.

Large Leak 6.23%

I think that if you have atmospheric pressure in your mouth, APAP therapy works better as there is no contrast.

Finally, sleeping on one side, with atmospheric pressure in the mouth, there is a salivary secretion that relieves dry mouth, although I think it will take several days to solve the problem.

In fact, if I sleep on my back, my mouth stays dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MaxxtheDog

In search by keyword what you want to do is type "dry mouth" with the inverted commas and then select Search Title only, that should give you something to read for a while!

Grab some coffee first  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 354 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.