Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Events per hour going up!
Events per hour going up!
I use an airsense that automatically adjusts my pressure from 4-20. I've been using it since Feb.20th and my events had stayed 1-2 per hour. For the last 2 weeks my events started going up to 3, 4 and as of last night almost 5. I don't see the dr till first week in June but should I schedule something earlier? According to my husband i flip out in the middle of the night and take the mask off if he doesn't wake to stop me and if I forget to use the machine I wake up gasping g for air but I don't remember any of this stuff. I recently got a new mask cushion but it's the same mask and everything. Should I be concerned?[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Events per hour going up!
okay here's my take. First your machine is set wide open 4-20 is the minimum and maximum range it can be set to. Most people feel that 4 is just too low and it feels like they are not getting enough air (me included), I need at least 5.6 to 5.7 and yes I am that sensitive. I keep my min at 6 just for fun. My lower prescription is at 8. so the 6 is for my using ramp that takes me from 6-8 when I first start using the machine each night.

The other things is that most people find that after the first exposure to CPAP when they feel good with it, that after a while the next most important thing for them starts demanding more attention. There are many settings besides the therapy settings and these have an impact on how well you sleep: temperature, humidity, and EPR.

Now all that said we tend to have more events during REM sleep and you may just be getting more REM sleep now.

Personally I would send a note to my doctor and tell them that "i flip out in the middle of the night and take the mask off" feeling like_____ and am wondering if my starting pressure is a little low. They can raise it remotely. Your doctor may want you to bring the machine in to look at the data (which you could also do by download and installing sleepyhead).

AHI of 5 is not all that bad and I doubt that this is what is making you take the mask off. I think it is most likely a machine setting needs to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
myair events per hour doesn't give me much of clue of what is going on, on the other hand SleepyHead or ResScan http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links does gives me the full picture to figure of what is going on and if anything need to be tweaked

We don't know whether those events are obstructive, centrals, or hypopneas, and whether scored while awake or during high leak periods
You should be able to see the type of events, 95 percentile (at or below for 95% of the night) pressure and leak number on the machine sleep report but you'll need to find from the clinical menu that "Essentials" set to "Plus" (not On) and the "Period" from the sleep report menu set to 1 Day (default 1 Month)

AirSense 10 setup instruction and how to get the clinical manual ... important and useful read
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

Full face mask isn't the most friendly type and can be a challenge to make it work especially for newbies
I think, Feb to June is a long time to wait for a follow-up appointment with doctor especially since pressure setting at default 4-20

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi marinexio19,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 225 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 229 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 725 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  CPAP CA Events brainfoggysleeper 2 207 02-29-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.