Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] FFM Vs. Nasal Pillows. Issues with both!
FFM Vs. Nasal Pillows. Issues with both!
I have been on APAP for a long time. My pressures are on the high side (avg around 16). For the last several months, I have been using a FP full face mask. Seal is decent and my AHI is generally below 1.5. The problem is that I wake up around 40 times a night with horrible dry mouth. The humidifier doesn't help at all. I also suffer from vivid nightmares (I don't know if this is related). This happens every night. This hasn't been a problem throughout my entire CPAP use history, but it has been for months.

So I had the bright idea yesterday of ordering a nasal pillows mask and a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I've been testing it out tonight while awake. I can feel my stomach, chest (I have a hiatal hernia) and pretty much my entire digestive system being filled with air. My ears also pop. This did not happen at all with the full-face mask.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can adjust to get the nasal pillows solution working properly?

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FFM Vs. Nasal Pillows. Issues with both!
You can turn down the minimum pressure by up to 3 cm based on your profile for use with nasal pillows. They apply pressure much more directly. You can judge whether to keep the pressure reduction in a few days. If you are using a resistance factor for your mask in the CPAP, make sure you change from your full face setting to one appropriate for the new nasal pillows.

Good luck, and let me know how this works out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vintshave,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!  40 times a night?  That is awful!

It is quite interesting the differences in the effects of a set pressure with different mask types.  As SleepRider said, you can lower the pressure with nasal pillows.

Another thing to try for the dry mouth (which is caused by mouth breathing while asleep) is a soft cervical collar which you should be able to find in any drug store.  It fixed the dry mouth problem for me when a chin strap did not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 11:17 PM)chill Wrote: Welcome!  40 times a night?  That is awful!

It is quite interesting the differences in the effects of a set pressure with different mask types.  As SleepRider said, you can lower the pressure with nasal pillows.

Another thing to try for the dry mouth (which is caused by mouth breathing while asleep) is a soft cervical collar which you should be able to find in any drug store.  It fixed the dry mouth problem for me when a chin strap did not.

Man, it's tough being single and a CPAP user! That whole setup (especially adding in the collar) is REALLY intimidating to the opposite sex :p
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, it has not at all increased my sex appeal!  Luckily I am married.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest being alive and relatively healthy is a lot more appealing than the alternative though... ;-)

I too get the air popping in my ears if my APAP is set too high. As suggested above, make sure you select "nasal pillows" or some other reasonable facsimile on your machine and I would turn the pressure down a couple of notches.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with setting the mask setting to pillows.

I use a nasal mask, but when I switch to a FFM I definitely need higher pressure (ie: +3cm or so). So it seems you're experiencing the same idea - maybe needing a lower pressure for the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 2 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.