Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] First night on the job Question
Question 
First night on the job Question
Just had my CPAP set up and completed my first night on it last night. I'm new to all of this and upon waking today, I felt better upon waking than I have in Months.. Besides the usual getting the Humidity and temp to my own comfort level I have two primary questions.

I slept for 7 hours uninterrupted, woke up at 5am and while not believing how awesome that it was to not notice any events, felt like there was a small pressure on my chest. In no way was this painful or uncomfortable and I wasn't having a hard time breathing just the muscles were shall I say funky. LOL.. I had another hour to sleep so I just took off my mask and slept the last hour without it. I had a similar experience the morning after my sleep study and it was gone within an hour of waking.

My questions are .....

1. Did I cheat myself removing the mask the last hour.. and/or should I not have done that.
2. Will that weird feeling go away after my body gets used to the Machine.

Thank you all in advance for any ideas/thoughts on my Apneanoobness... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on the job Question
Welcome!

Congratulations on an unusually easy and successful first night. You will be the envy of many, I am sure.

Our advice is usually to avoid ever sleeping without the mask. You are not doing yourself any favours.

The feeling in your chest is probably the muscles getting used to exhaling against the small pressure. It will quickly disappear.

It only gets better from here!
Post Reply Post Reply
Turborob2005,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Sounds like you had a great first night. If you start to feel a little "air starved", you may want to consider moving your minimum pressure from 4 to at least 6.

And I agree that you should not sleep without your mask, even if it is only for an hour.

Good Luck, and ask questions anytime. We're here to help one another. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Turborob2005,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be better to leave your mask on all through your sleep and the last hour of rest.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy; CONGRATULATIONS! on your first night, keep up the good work.

trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question after night #1 Jskier 33 2,274 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 873 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 922 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,129 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,374 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,300 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,284 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.