Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] First night with O2 meter - low of 78
Thumbsdown 
First night with O2 meter - low of 78
First, I've attached a couple of reports. The actual in bed trying to sleep period was 1AM to 7:45AM. This was done with my new mask, and my leak rate was only 0.3L/s (or 18L/m). EPAP of 8, PS of 7, IPAP of 15, max IPAP of 25.

Pressure = 15
AHI = 10.4
AI = 1.9

I wouldn't say I awoke 'refreshed', but neither did I have to struggle (like usual) to get up this morning. I would say (first night with new mask and lower leak rate) that my leak rate at first blush is/was the cause of my poor sleep lately, as last night was a dramatic change over the last few weeks.

However, I am concerned with my O2 stats. Many drops below 88, with a low of 78 (NOTE: I had an alarm going off at 85, which woke me each time). I fear that had I not used the alarm function, my numbers may have been even worse.

FYI - the device is a new CMS50F with USB (no bluetooth), cost was $139, much lower pricing available on Ebay, but I chose to buy from a more comfortable source. I believe this is a great device, rechargeable battery, some 30 hours of data storage, accurate to 2 points (average), came with the software, both for real-time, and review.

I'm very open to thoughts, suggestions, and opinions, both on these numbers, and any possible changes I might try for an improvement? I am currently thinking about raising my PS a point or 2, as I've read that tends to increase O2 stats?

[attachment=527]
[attachment=528]
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78
Hi. Maybe you should discuss these statistics with your doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to talk to to your doctor, and show him your results.
I live at 5000 ft, and drop to 80% with CPAP. I use oxygen supplementation at night, it makes a big difference how I feel.
BTW I am fine at sea level, 90%+ all night with out oxygen.
The concentrators can be noisy, I have mine on 50 ft tubing in another room.
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter did the major events coincide with hi leaks shown in Sleepyhead?
I am also curious why to two drops below 80% do not register as events?
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to fixed income, no insurance, and a $250 office visit cost, I am trying to avoid seeing my sleep doc until July 2014 (when I get on Medicare). Sadly, my machine uses a weird proprietary connector and reader (think S8) to view data, so I only see what is on my LCD screen.

So currently, my 'tools', settings and data I can see are: (old data)

Settings:
MODE: VAUTO
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 7
Press SUP: 6
Ti Max: 4.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
EXHALATION: MED
SMARTSTART: ON
Mask: STANDARD
Leak Alert: OFF
TRIGGER: Low
CYCLE: Low
Tube Length: 3m
MaxSettle: off

Data from last night (10/19/2013)
USEAGE: 9:48hrs

Item | DAY | WEEK |
LEAK: 0.46L/s 0.48L/s
VT: 420-860 360-780
Resp Rate: 10-15 10-15
MV: 5.2-10.3 5.0-9.6
PRESS: 13.4 13.2
AHI: 19.6 11.2
AI: 4.4 2.3
%SPONT T: 0% 0%
%SPONT C: 0% 0%

And the data from the CMS50F, as shown in the reports above.

In a perfect world, seeing the sleep doc is the best answer, or even my primary care doc. But if possible, I need to avoid those for the time being. I also have hopes of getting a new machine next July as well, as my current machine has a bit over 8000 hours on it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2013, 08:25 AM)Peter_C Wrote: First, I've attached a couple of reports. The actual in bed trying to sleep period was 1AM to 7:45AM. This was done with my new mask, and my leak rate was only 0.3L/s (or 18L/m). EPAP of 8, PS of 7, IPAP of 15, max IPAP of 25.

Pressure = 15
AHI = 10.4
AI = 1.9

I wouldn't say I awoke 'refreshed', but neither did I have to struggle (like usual) to get up this morning. I would say (first night with new mask and lower leak rate) that my leak rate at first blush is/was the cause of my poor sleep lately, as last night was a dramatic change over the last few weeks.

However, I am concerned with my O2 stats. Many drops below 88, with a low of 78 (NOTE: I had an alarm going off at 85, which woke me each time). I fear that had I not used the alarm function, my numbers may have been even worse.

FYI - the device is a new CMS50F with USB (no bluetooth), cost was $139, much lower pricing available on Ebay, but I chose to buy from a more comfortable source. I believe this is a great device, rechargeable battery, some 30 hours of data storage, accurate to 2 points (average), came with the software, both for real-time, and review.

I'm very open to thoughts, suggestions, and opinions, both on these numbers, and any possible changes I might try for an improvement? I am currently thinking about raising my PS a point or 2, as I've read that tends to increase O2 stats?

I found that loosing weight helped me. I'm not going to tell you that it takes the apnea away, but it sure helps with all those events.......just sayinEat-popcorn

LOVEDOG
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Peter C,
Are you taking any medications at night? I notice even taking Benadryl at night decreases my O2 levels a bit. Because I live at a high altitude (5600'), I use supplemental oxygen at night - but I doubt that is your problem living in Akron, Ohio! Just like Pumpkin, I do much better at a lower elevation. You'll feel 100% better if you can keep your 02 levels above 88%, believe me!

Hang in there for more suggestions - but remember, the price of seeing your doctor could save your life.
Post Reply Post Reply
We''ll see what another night brings, this time with the alarm off, so it doesn't wake me.

Some 70-odd pounds lost to date, it's slow but it's happening.

Sadly, I am on many different meds currently, though most are taken in the AM.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow!! You've lost 70 pounds! Good for you Peter_C. I admire your determination and hope your O2 levels improve tonight. Please keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
BAD NIGHT

Data from last night's sleep session. In bed a bit over nine hours.
Lowest O2 was 79%. Woke up on my back, feeling bleh!

Bad Leak rate 0.74L/s (44.4L/m)
PRESS 15.2
AHI 65.7
AI 22.1

Event Data SpO2 Pulse
Total Events 456 215
Time In Events(min) 146.5 92.3
Avg. Event Dur.(sec) 19.3 25.8
Index (1/hr) 47.2 22.3
% Artifact 0.1 0.1
Adjusted Index (1/hr) 47.3 22.3
%SpO2 Data
Basal SpO2(%) 92.1
Time(min) < 88% 16.4
Events < 88% 134
Minimum SpO2(%) 79
Avg. Low SpO2(%) 88.3
Avg. Low SpO2 < 88% 85.9
Pulse Data
Avg Pulse Rate(bpm) 75.4
Low Pulse Rate(bpm) 53

These last two nights are a great example of why a single night sleep study can't sure an entire picture. Here I was in my own bed two nights in a row, one night was 'OK', and the next night was 'bad'. But the O2 stats generally look bad in my opinion.

First, I need to get the leak rate both down, and to stay down. But, I also think some changes might be a good idea! This machine in 'auto' can raise the overall pressures, but cannot on it's own change the 'pressure support' (the difference between EPAP and IPAP), so I am thinking that's the number to start with.

[attachment=529][attachment=530]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Contec CMS50S SpO2 meter jens 8 652 03-30-2023, 08:33 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen level meter Big Guy 9 955 07-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.