Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Fragmented Sleep
Gross 
Fragmented Sleep
I was reading another post and read this.

[/quote]

Think nothing about it.. while I get between 6-14 hrs sleep / day, it's usually in blocks of 30 - 180 mins at a time.. with the average being in the 90 min range or less... fragmented sleep is almost as bad as no sleep, but heck.. my AHI level is fairly low..

I've got a theory..if I could just learn to live without sleeping I woudn't have an AHI problem.. Laugh-a-lotOh-jeez
[/quote]

This sounds like me. I am working on finding out why. One of the things that has come up is rotator cuff tears and sleep problems. My shoulder has hurt for years, I had a repair job done 15+ years ago. I went to a doctor to have it looked at and was surprised to learn that it may need a replacement joint. It is down to bone to bone and he wanted to know why I waited so long to have it checked out.

Any other ideas of what to look for that might cause Fragmented Sleep Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fragmented Sleep
Pain is usually the major cause of fragmented sleep. Control the pain and your sleep improves. How you control that pain is another matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a built-in alarm clock that is set for 3AM. I always wake up for no apparent reason (pain, room temp, etc). The mask is always in place and the CPAP machine is working fine. I get up, drink a glass of water and go back to bed. Sometimes I need a bathroom break, but most of the time I don't. I can usually sleep another 3-4 hours afterward. I've always hoped I could fix the problem, but it seems nothing works. I usually feel fine if neither session is interrupted, but it would be nice to shut off the alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
for me it was several of the BiLevel settings that just irritated me, could not figure out why exactly, made small changes to every setting until I got them all dialed in. Doing pretty well now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2016, 11:00 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I have a built-in alarm clock that is set for 3AM. I always wake up for no apparent reason (pain, room temp, etc). The mask is always in place and the CPAP machine is working fine. I get up, drink a glass of water and go back to bed. Sometimes I need a bathroom break, but most of the time I don't. I can usually sleep another 3-4 hours afterward. I've always hoped I could fix the problem, but it seems nothing works. I usually feel fine if neither session is interrupted, but it would be nice to shut off the alarm.

Our ancestors slept in a way that modern sleepers would find bizarre – they slept twice. Look up Second Sleep. It may help you understand you body.
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2016, 04:17 AM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Any other ideas of what to look for that might cause Fragmented Sleep

When I had untreated sleep apnea I would wake every hour or two. Probably because I was in a deep enough sleep that that was the only way my body could wake itself up enough to breathe.

After getting a CPAP machine, the problem persisted. It takes a while for the brain to figure out that the old behavior is no longer necessary for survival. As time goes on the sleep gets less fragmented. You just have to be patient and maintain a positive attitude.

Look into good sleep hygiene habits, drugs like trazodone, or even behavioral therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the biggest things is that if you go to sleep and set your TV with a sleep timer, when the flicker of the TV goes off, it sometimes wakes people up.

Just because your asleep, doesn't mean your eyes don't see differences in light behavior.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Most new devices use a blue light for illumination, including alarm clocks (and CPAPs). This is the color that signals the brain to awake. LED screens use blue to generate the color white. Why the manufacturers chose to use blue light for a bedroom device is a REAL stroke of genius.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run a freeware program called f.lux (to Google it, include the decimal point) on my computer. It changes the color temp. based on the time of day. Right now it's giving me a display temp. of 2700 Kelvin. It's much easier on my eyes but I still wake around 3:30 ever night, then go back to sleep for 3 more hours. I can live with since it's apparently nothing I can change.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dude, for mentioning f.lux. I just noticed that my laptop screen was bright white and couldn't find my f.lux icon, even though it was still listed as being on my computer. I did an uninstall then re-installed it and it sure makes a difference! I think using it to cut the blue light really helps me get to sleep as I use my computer until just before bedtime. That and Melatonin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 209 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Fragmented REM or Aerophagia on Bi-Level jrcifani5005 12 1,056 11-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  0.0 AHI - Fragmented Sleep and Waking Fatigued Korgunaard 10 1,376 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.