Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Headaches and restlessness
Sad 
Headaches and restlessness
Hello,
I started my CPAP about 2 weeks ago. I have been really frustrated, because I have been having really bad headaches. I am also having a hard time adjusting to wearing my mask. I had really poor sleep before I got my CPAP and now its is not getting better. I do not know what to do. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Headaches and restlessness
Hi Fauque,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to and the mask is the hardest part of it. Don't be shy about trying different ones if you are having trouble with the mask you are using now, as there are many of them out there.
Things should get better over time but if your symptoms persist, you will want to talk to your doc about that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear about that. Are the headaches when you are using the mask, when you wake up, throughout the day etc?

Getting adjusted to wearing the mask is incredibly common.

If your machine is data capable, you should look into downloading Sleepyhead and viewing your data. You might be having leaks or apnea events that are causing the issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 10:07 PM)Fauque Wrote: Hello,
I started my CPAP about 2 weeks ago. I have been really frustrated, because I have been having really bad headaches. I am also having a hard time adjusting to wearing my mask. I had really poor sleep before I got my CPAP and now its is not getting better. I do not know what to do. Thanks
We don,t know the exact cause of the headache but this wiki provide excellent advice for new CPAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

It may helps knowing the model number of your machine, some machines report efficacy data and makes easier to pin point the problem and to ask the doctor at the next scheduled followup appointment
Remove the water tank so we don,t spill any water and turn the machine upside down
there should a label with the model number printed on it ...250 or 450 - 260 or 460
Post Reply Post Reply
Fauque, welcome, try to stick with it and stay positive that it will help you in the long run. The headaches could just be the adjustment period.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 10:07 PM)Fauque Wrote: Hello,

Headaches and such can be caused by lots of things, but one of the things can be your mask. You mention you are having a hard time with your mask. Generally speaking, I think we are too quick to discard one mask for another without giving it a fair trail. However, in your case it does sound like you have been trying for a fair period of time.

My recommendation is to go to your sleep clinic or DME and trade that mask in on a pillows mask. I very much prefer the Resmed P10, but there are others. I think that may be very helpful for you.

In the meantime, just make sure you are not cinching the straps down too tightly on your nasal mask. If you are you could certainly have an uncomfortable nights sleep and a headache the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply
When first started the therapy, the first thing I've noticed, no longer waking up with a headache even with leaks and sleeping less than 4 hours at night which was a better than 7/8 hours before CPAP

Now when I wake up with headaches, more likely sinus headache or not breathing freely from my nose, full face mask might be my answer but have not found one yet does not leak like a sieve
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 10:07 PM)Fauque Wrote: I started my CPAP about 2 weeks ago. I have been really frustrated, because I have been having really bad headaches. I am also having a hard time adjusting to wearing my mask. I had really poor sleep before I got my CPAP and now its is not getting better. I do not know what to do.

Just hang in there. Don't give up. The same thing happened to me. It gets better after a while, and then it gets a lot better. It's a process of adapting to the mask and the pressurized air.

It's probably accurate to say that for those of us who suffer from headaches, a lack of sleep makes the headaches worse.

CPAP therapy is supposed to help you sleep better, but it doesn't always start out that way. For about the first month I was getting less sleep, not more, because the CPAP therapy itself was bothering me and interfering with my sleep. After a couple of weeks, though, I started noticing that I felt better on some days. As the weeks went by the better days became more frequent.

Just remember that this is the most important fight of your life. And the rewards are worth it. Without CPAP therapy you'll lead a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke. With CPAP therapy you'll live a more enjoyable life.

And those headaches, well it took a while, but now I have far more days when I don't have a headache than days when I do. To me it's nothing less than a miracle. One way I have of expressing my gratitude is to try and help others to have the same experience.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum Fauque.
The early days are the worst days. Please bare with it. As has been suggested maybe try another mask, it may just work wonders.
The headaches could be due to the whole new sleep pattern, if they don't pass as you become more comfortable with your CPAP gear, see your Doctor about them.
Please hang in there, speaking from experience it does get better.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 733 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 908 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data analysis/headaches arkayamal 5 743 03-11-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Morning headaches post- revised! lindylou 11 1,139 01-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lindylou
Sad New CPAP user (sort of)Headaches every morning twincessmom13 8 1,229 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: twincessmom13
  [Treatment] 4 Years on CPAP, Still Tired with Morning Headaches FancyFrog 4 769 09-04-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: FancyFrog
  Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches suresk 4 1,186 05-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.