Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Hypopnea problem
Hypopnea problem
I have a lot of hypopneas. Last night I had 7 hours sleep and the hypopnea count is 15. The SleepyHead waveform however shows no flat lines for all of them. My sleep quality is overall not too bad, only with 3 OAs and AHI = 2.48. Do I have a bad CPAP machine ( DreamStation ) or there is something I don't understand about hypopnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopnea problem
I'm not a pro at this but CPAP I think is more for obstructive apnea, if you don't breath in a deep (tidal volume), the CPAP machine isn't going to push any more air in than what it is set for.  Perhaps you need more pressure or you have the EPR to high...which can blow out the CO2 and cause you to take smaller breaths. 

As you said, you feel good so that is just as important as a number (AHI).
Post Reply Post Reply
At this link there is info about hypopneas.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hypopnea

Good reading. If your diagnosed with OSA, the hypopneas are probably obstructive in nature. Try uping min pressure a bit to see if they improve. Nothing to worry about though.

From the link:
Hypopneas may be obstructive in nature which means that the airway has closed to some extent. Hypopneas may also be "central" in nature where the airway is completely open. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure can be used to alleviate obstructive hypopneas but will not help if the hypopneas are central in nature.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStation counts a hypopnea at 40% or more obstruction. If you don't have a problem with clear airway events you probably could bump up your pressure 1cm and see if that knocks them out. It would be better if you could post a chart from sleepyhead though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,457 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,139 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 388 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.