Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] I can't stay asleep
I can't stay asleep
I've been on CPAP 1 mo. I sleep better when I sleep. I still can not stay asleep longer than 45 min. at one time. My CPAP has a card that shows when I wake I have no restriction and I am breathing fine. Most of the time I wake it is at the end of a dream. I wake peacefully with no gasping or leg movement. I can go back to sleep within 10 - 15 min. but I wake up again in less than 45 min. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help.
MARK
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't stay asleep
I have the same problem but I manage to sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But, sometimes, I cannot go right back to sleep. Still no answer as to why this happens. I have been using CPAP therapy for around 3 years now
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fb4mark,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Somctime CPAP therapy can take some getting used to and your body is getting used to this "new" way of sleeping, just stick with it and hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, I've been having the same problem. I have found that it has been improving somewhat over time with the CPAP. Before starting CPAP, I would say I probably never slept for more than an hour at a time. After 4 months, I always get 3-4 good hours of sleep before I wake up, then I wake up hourly after that.

Have you noticed any interesting patterns in SleepyHead? I've noticed that my respiratory rate becomes erratic before I wake up; I understand that this can be an indicator of REM sleep. I still don't know exactly what that indicates is waking me up or how I can fix it though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fb4mark, welcome to the forum
Look at RERA numbers, this could be what you,re describing ... followup with your doctor

From PRS1 manual: RERA (Respiratory effort-related arousal) is defined as an arousal from sleep that follows a 10 second or longer sequence of breaths that are characterized by increasing respiratory effort, but which does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea. Snoring, though usually associated with this condition need not be present. The RERA algorithm monitors for a sequence of breaths that exhibit both a subtle reduction in airflow and progressive flow limitation. If this breath sequence is terminated by a sudden increase in airflow along with the absence of flow limitation, and the event does not meet the conditions for an apnea or hypopnea, a RERA is indicated.

Here is an excellent article by Dr Barry Krakow
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='zonk' pid='49114' dateline='1384289367']
Hi fb4mark, welcome to the forum
Look at RERA numbers, this could be what you,re describing ... followup with your doctor

From PRS1 manual: RERA (Respiratory effort-related arousal) is defined as an arousal from sleep that follows a 10 second or longer sequence of breaths that are characterized by increasing respiratory effort, but which does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea. Snoring, though usually associated with this condition need not be present. The RERA algorithm monitors for a sequence of breaths that exhibit both a subtle reduction in airflow and progressive flow limitation. If this breath sequence is terminated by a sudden increase in airflow along with the absence of flow limitation, and the event does not meet the conditions for an apnea or hypopnea, a RERA is indicated.

Here is an excellent article by Dr Barry Krakow

Thanks I will check in to this.
MARK
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2013, 03:31 PM)eviltim Wrote: Mark, I've been having the same problem. I have found that it has been improving somewhat over time with the CPAP. Before starting CPAP, I would say I probably never slept for more than an hour at a time. After 4 months, I always get 3-4 good hours of sleep before I wake up, then I wake up hourly after that.

Have you noticed any interesting patterns in SleepyHead? I've noticed that my respiratory rate becomes erratic before I wake up; I understand that this can be an indicator of REM sleep. I still don't know exactly what that indicates is waking me up or how I can fix it though.

Thanks I will give it time. I am getting more restful sleep with CPAP so it is worth staying on it.
MARK
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 94 2 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,146 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 75 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 358 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 112 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 536 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 984 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.