Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Interpret troubling flow & respiration rates
I'd appreciate an interpretation of a set of graphs from 12/22-23/15 sleep, which I hope to post next in this thread.

Thinking the strange-to-this-newbie Flow graphs I've been seeing were distorted by ECR3, I set ECR to zero (for the first time) last night. I selected the worst of several resulting examples which I hope will be permitted and shown in my next (8th) post.

As the graphs show, the Flow limitations are not that lengthy, high nor coincident with the sawtoothing and the Leak is moderate.

Yes, it appears that the many top-outs of Respiration
Rates above 50 reflects counting many, maybe all, of the local sawtooth peaks between two successive flow minimums (one "breath").

Using ECR3 my AHI's have been running <1.0 and near or at zero; the related Flow wave forms have a lot of "bumps" but do rise to and fall from a definite maximum in each cycle.

I have a CMS50I on order and am guessing it would have shown a lot of desats last night.

Maybe with this post I'll have 8 posts and will be permitted to (learn and) use appropriate links to Imgur. I hope including the surprisingly large image in my next post will be OK this time

Post Reply Post Reply
Here, I hope, are the graphs I mentioned--or a link to them.

(12-24-2015, 03:21 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: I'd appreciate an interpretation of a set of graphs from 12/22-23/15 sleep, which I hope to post next in this thread....

Maybe with this post I'll have 8 posts and will be permitted to (learn and) use appropriate links to Imgur. I hope including the surprisingly large image in my next post will be OK this time

[Image: WNhQsYh.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Those wiggles in the flow rate are being interpreted as a transition to/from inhale; sending the computed BPM artificially high.
Are you snoring during the time interval?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I agree and yes Mongo I have seen Hunt for the Red October a number of times. I am also wondering if the jagged flow rate curves may be due to a machine problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 2SleepBetta,

To see your true respiration rate, count only the deep exhalations (the deep excursions downward in the Flow). Looks to me like your true respiration rate was about 15 or 16 breaths per minute, which is very common.

Perhaps you were snoring?
Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are many OAs not in sync, roughly, with explanatory snores or flow limitations? 2SleepBetta 5 204 03-25-2017, 01:41 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Flow Limitation Index RWhipkey 4 236 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Strange flow patter and results Bruce456 15 518 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Any advice on this flow rate pattern? doickle 5 212 03-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Strange Flow Rate Pattern schmatt 13 449 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Last Post: schmatt
  Are Occasional Episodes of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration Reason for Concern? Melman 5 224 02-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Strange flow rate tedgreen 9 279 02-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: RichardVT