Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] NASAL CAVITY IRRITATION
NASAL CAVITY IRRITATION
Hi,
Been using my CPAP machine for 5 months now so far so good, until this past 2 mornings I've waken up with a sort of soreness/irritation at the "back of my nose"/nasal cavity which gradually disappears after 2-3 hrs.
Has anybody experienced this? any Idea what might have caused this?

Current humidity setting: 5
Attachment: heated tube + nasal pillow
Pressure:15
Ambient room temp:5 to 9 deg C

Many Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NASAL CAVITY IRRITATION
(08-04-2014, 03:43 PM)OG1964 Wrote: Hi,
Been using my CPAP machine for 5 months now so far so good, until this past 2 mornings I've waken up with a sort of soreness/irritation at the "back of my nose"/nasal cavity which gradually disappears after 2-3 hrs.
Has anybody experienced this? any Idea what might have caused this?

Current humidity setting: 5
Attachment: heated tube + nasal pillow
Pressure:15
Ambient room temp:5 to 9 deg C

Many Thanks!

If you're not using a chin strap, it's possible your mouth is opening at night. 15cm H2o is into the range where mouths tend to flop open at night. 8-) Do you find that your humidifier uses a lot of water (have to fill it every night)? Using a lot of water is often an indication of large amounts of leakage.

Also, your room is extremely cold. Are you sure about the temperature? 5C is 41F.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, OG1964
Trish got good advice for you, see her reply here (post #2)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...irritation
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OG1964,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap and see if that will help, and the HPA Lanolin is good to use as well.
Another thing you could try is to turn your humidifier down just a notch.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your humidifier have water in it in the morning or is it empty?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the prompt reply guys! I fill up mu water chamber up to the max., still have some water left come morning....might be due to leaking, will have to check my machine later and try to adjust my chin strap.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
You might need to adjust the headgear, not too tight, tighter is worse for leaks and makes your nose sore
Check the pillows are the correct size, not too large or too small
Just a reminder, washing your mask each morning helps with the seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Organic Sesame Oil is what the surgeon recommended to me after my turbinectomy - apparently, it's often used after nasal surgery. I've been using it since 2008, and I find it's really soothing and have never had any kind of adverse reaction to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys!! adjusted my chin strap (seatec sleep tight) woke up without that "irritation"
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 09:26 AM)Simon M Wrote: Organic Sesame Oil is what the surgeon recommended to me after my turbinectomy - apparently, it's often used after nasal surgery. I've been using it since 2008, and I find it's really soothing and have never had any kind of adverse reaction to it.
My sleep doctor once told me about Nazoil, saline sinus rinses works better for me
There is Swedish study about the benefit of the oil, it does not seem widely used in US as in Scandinavian countries and Australia
Also Seatec chinstrap "OG1964" using is only sold in Australia, so assume, he is another Aussie Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 624 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 985 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.