Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning machine directly before bed?
Cleaning machine directly before bed?
Hey all,

So I have been using the machine for about a month to deal with chronic throat pain now, and a week ago suddenly had a sharp increase in throat pain over the course of a few days. 

Got the data ( going well according to the numbers) off the person I am renting it from (side note, surely I can have the data sent directly to my phone?) And saw my local doctor.

Got diagnosed with tonsilitis (recurring tonsilitis might be as big a problem for me as the apneas) and given antibiotics, obviously Covid tested too.

Things were improving, but have gone bad again. Turning from a sore throat to a dry cough, and a worsening of the pain, again.

Then I realised I haven't washed the machine at all since I got it.

A Google search tells me that this could cause illness and infection, etc.

But when I look up the cleaning instructions (which seem ridiculously demanding, with daily cleans of this, and weekly cleans of that and the assumption we all have time and space for that - but that's another aside) it says to wash the pads/mask and leave them to dry on a towel... But I want to go to sleep now... So do I clean it just before bed and use it without leaving it to dry? Do I use it without cleaning it and so that in the morning? Or do I not use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning machine directly before bed?
Don't worry about the machine.. Wash the mask and hose. shake and dry as much as possible - turn on the machine, if it "feels" normal - go to bed. If not try to dry it more. Not a big deal...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Any reasonable cleaning routine is better than none. You can actively dry components using a towel, or if you have time, leave them to air-dry. Here is a fairly easy, minimal cleaning routine:
Humidifier chamber: Empty and wipe out daily. Clean well if any residue is seen.
Nasal pillow cushions: keep free of facial oils (wipe or clean) and clean well 1x per week using dish detergent and rinse well, dry.
Mask frame: clean well 1x per 2-weeks and dry well. Be careful not to allow water to remain on the exhale vent as it can reduce flow.
Mask headgear (cloth): Launder and dry every 2-weeks. Throw it in with your underwear.
CPAP tube: Clean well or replace every 6-months.
CPAP machine filter: Replace 1x per month, or when discolored.

Some people will feel a need for more frequent or intensive cleaning, but this will keep your equipment in decent shape and you are free to do what makes you feel the equipment is clean.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about the bit of the hose that connects to the machine, and has an electronic sockety bit.

How do I keep that dry while cleaning the tube?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 10:45 AM)RTNoftheMackell Wrote: What about the bit of the hose that connects to the machine, and has an electronic sockety bit.

The electronic connection on the hose is sealed and can get wet while cleaning without any problems
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 10:45 AM)RTNoftheMackell Wrote: What about the bit of the hose that connects to the machine, and has an electronic sockety bit.

Many clean a heated hose with no problem at all. Just make a plan to do it early in the morning and hang it up to dry.
There may always be some water droplets left in it, but when the air is turned on, that will evaporate.

If you are worried about the small electrical contacts, cover it with some electrical tape when washing, but not necessary.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hand wash my face mask, cushion, and head gear in hot water and dish soap about 2-3 times a month. The hose gets a good cleaning in hot water and soap about once a month. It's okay to completely submerge it in water. No problem. Hang it up to air dry for a few hours.

I do use Clorox anti-bacterial wet wipes on my mask and cushion about once a week. My mask is a ResMed F30 and is very easy to clean with a wet wipe. Takes maybe a minute or two at most. 

I empty the water reservoir each & every morning and wipe it dry with tissue. When I see some mineral deposits begin to build-up, I use some white vinegar and that gets rid of it. Just pour in some, let it soak for 30 minutes or so, empty, rinse with some water, and wipe dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I clean my gear when travelling I give the whole machine a good going over because who know's and especially in these times.
When I travel to Mexico I notice Mildew smell from air conditioning and just being close to ocean and so I know it is there posing a problem possibly.
Change air intake filter on machine, clean hoses, humidifier, and mask parts ASP in water, vineger and a little dish washer soap and then hang them to air dry. I bought one of those Cpap hose hangers- works great.
For daily use I like to use alcohol swaps (package of 100 for $3.00 USA brand- larger size than off shore swaps) and wipe my nasal pillows inside and out daily and just add distilled water as needed in Humidifier chamber. (Have been doing this for over 12 yrs and people use to give me heck for using alcohol swaps but they are used for other things like cuts and just work great on my silicone parts of mask.
Nothing should in theory live in distilled water so I will clean when ever I remember. Being diligent is better no doubt, but the most important thing IMO is washing in a clean smaller container to reduce anything entering into gear is my recommendation.
Every time you clean you have to clean the sink or large water container(clean large salad bowl I use) because you are allowing what ever is in your sink to access to your gear and that might not be what you wanted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 610 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 760 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.