Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Timmo - Therapy Analysis
Timmo - Therapy Analysis
I have been lurking on apnea board for awhile but finally have to share.  My fifteen year old brick CPAP gave up the ghost three nights ago.  It happened with lots of warning signs for the last couple of months.  That was enough warning for me to complete a sleep test and get a new prescription written by my doc.  The DME that my medical office works with says 8 to 12 weeks back order on a new auto CPAP. After contacting an online supplier found through apneaboard, I went ahead and ordered a ResMed air mini, which arrives today.  The mini comes out of my pocket, but I needed a travel CPAP anyways. The last three nights sleep have been miserable by the way, so I am anxiously watching for the delivery truck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member
I don’t want to ever go without CPAP again. Slept in probably due to sleep deficit from previous 3 nights.  The AirMini is going to get the job done until I get my new full size CPAP in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes and you'll have a second machine for backup and traveling.
Post Reply Post Reply
The apneaboard forum is proving valuable!  Through the apnea board forums, I learned I had been sleeping attached to a brick for the last 15 years.  I found that if I don’t inquire or take an interest in my new prescription, I might find my self attached to something less that optimal for at least the next 5 years. My Sleep study people set me up with a DME far away in Southern California. I called the DME to confirm I was going to get a ResMed AutoSense 10 or 11 auto.  The answer was no, the ResMeds are back ordered anywhere from 8 weeks to 9 months, depending on whom I talk to.  They have a nice (Chinese) model ready to ship for me.  I declined the offer and started calling local DME’s, within a 100 miles of my home. On the second try I got a positive answer for a ResMed AirSense 11 auto.  I have contacted my Doctor’s office to fax my prescription to this local DME.  I will continue to post as my situation unfolds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you for waiting for the ResMed! It is certainly your best choice.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
That is the way to self advocate.!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like I experienced bait and switch with my local DME. After my Physician’s office faxed my prescription to the DME, the available ResMed AirSense Auto suddenly became unavailable and I was offered a “Res Vent i breeze” (made in China) instead. The alternative given is to wait indefinitely. Still waiting patiently.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other alternative is to call your insurance company and request a list of in-network DMEs and then call them and ask each for the delivery on a ResMed AutoSet.  You have the choice of which DME you use.
You also have the option of purchasing online.  
  • Ask your insurance for a patient advocate.
  • Advise the advocate that your machine is now broken and is unusable.
  • State you have untreated AHI of xxx (go back to your sleep study) and as such you need to expedite delivery of the prescribed ResMed AutoSet
  • State that due to the shortage of CPAPs because of Philips recall the delivery from the traditional in-network DMEs is excessive
  • Delivery from online source is approximately 1 week or less.  Can you get reimbursed from an on-line purchase and how much would you be reimbursed.  Do state that you know this will take an exception to normal policy and can you the patient advocate help to make this happen.
This has worked for at least 1 forum member.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Timmo,

Is it an option to contact your sleep doc and ask them to write the same prescription except to include the model name and "Dispense as written"?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. In this case I think it has just been a matter of time. My local DME called me up last week to let me know my new ResMed AirSense 11 auto has arrived. I picked it up and started using it that night. I am currently 5 nights into my 30 day Medicare proving period. Since I started with the air mini and now with the AirSense 11 my sleep has noticeably improved, (I am not having anymore 3:00am waking ups).

Next I will explore getting my OSCAR downloaded and continue taking charge of my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 65 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,001 9 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,334 10 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 592 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 12 544 04-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 67 1,821 04-16-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 491 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.