Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Nightly bathroom trips - will they go away?
RE: Nightly bathroom trips - will they go away?
(11-13-2017, 09:40 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Loboix go ahead and start your own thread.

You want me to start another thread about this? Why not continue in the one I already made?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that you will see a big improvement in your nocturia once those AHI numbers get even lower.  

Here is a link to what AHI means and  consists of: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)

For many of us when we first start using CPAP the AHI is a bit erratic from night to night This is for two reasons: firstly we are adjusting to using CPAP  and often there are central or clear airway events. For many these go away in the first few weeks. Anyway, in the number you are reporting, they are of no concern. 

Secondly, the pressure is often not set correctly, either too wide a range (4cm-20cm) or too low minimum pressure, etc.

Hypopneas and apneas  can often be eliminated by slightly higher minimum pressure. 

What is your APAP set to? Starting and max pressure?

If you wish, read up on how to use a program called "Sleepy Head" that many of us use to improve our treatment. 

Start a new thread if you like specifically about your CPAP numbers and charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
loboix, It makes it easier for those who might respond to your questions when you change to another subject.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2017, 09:45 AM)Timur Wrote: I think that you will see a big improvement in your nocturia once those AHI numbers get even lower.  

Here is a link to what AHI means and  consists of: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)

For many of us when we first start using CPAP the AHI is a bit erratic from night to night This is for two reasons: firstly we are adjusting to using CPAP  and often there are central or clear airway events. For many these go away in the first few weeks. Anyway, in the number you are reporting, they are of no concern. 

Secondly, the pressure is often not set correctly, either too wide a range (4cm-20cm) or too low minimum pressure, etc.

Hypopneas and apneas  can often be eliminated by slightly higher minimum pressure. 

What is your APAP set to? Starting and max pressure?

If you wish, read up on how to use a program called "Sleepy Head" that many of us use to improve our treatment. 

Start a new thread if you like specifically about your CPAP numbers and charts.

Thank you for the link Smile

MY pressure is set to 4.0 starting and 20 max. I will be talking to my doctor in a few days as I think I need to change something. Its difficult to breathe out in the mask in the beginning, so I need to have that changed. I read that its something to do with ERP (?), but I went into clinical menu and it was already ON and set to 3

(11-13-2017, 09:46 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: loboix, It makes it easier for those who might respond to your questions when you change to another subject.

Ok, that makes sense. I was just answering your post, but Im a little wiser now, so I´ll look into the numbers more Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Loboix,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If your min pressure is set at 4...that is far too low. I can't imagine anyone being comfortable at that setting. I would recommend going to 6 at the very least.

To go into your clinical settings you need to hold down the home button on the front and the rotary knob at the same time. I would recommend you do as much reading as you can to educate yourself to the machine settings and everything to do with sleep apnea. You can email the admins here to request a clinical manual for your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2017, 04:42 AM)Loboix Wrote: Hi everyone!

Im new here, and I recently was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have been using my CPAP for just under a wek now, and I still have to get up every 2 hours to pee. Before that however, I had to get up every 1-1½ hours, so I guess thats an improvement already.

So my question is this: Does anyone else have this, or had this? And can I expect it to go away so I can sleep a whole night without getting up? I realize that sleep apnea might not be the entire reason for the nightly pee breaks, but I was just wondering.

Thank you Smile

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Sometimes this can be a habit going to the toilet, however, it usually improves after a while.
If it has not improved a lot within six months go see your doctor, there may be some other underlying cause.
However, as I said it usually improves a lot.
I was never bothered with going to the toilet during the night, even though I drank a lot of liquid and even had a couple of pints of beer in the evening and two LTR of pop in the evening.
But if everyone was the same it would be a strange world. Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 06:47 PM)Marillion Wrote: If your min pressure is set at 4...that is far too low.  I can't imagine anyone being comfortable at that setting.  I would recommend going to 6 at the very least.  

To go into your clinical settings you need to hold down the home button on the front and the rotary knob at the same time.  I would recommend you do as much reading as you can to educate yourself to the machine settings and everything to do with sleep apnea.  You can email the admins here to request a clinical manual for your machine.

Thank you for the answer. I went into my clinical menu last night and changed the minimum to 6, and the EPR to 1 (was on 3), and I had my best night so far...0.7 "events" and about 6ish hours of sleep with only 2 bathroom breaks, so I must have done something right. I have been reading up a lot on the settings and what they do, and I have already gotten the manual from the mods, so now its just a matter of trying to adjust little things Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent! Great news. I would say leave the settings as is for a few days and then post the results. Glad to hear things are going well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Oscar- How it categorizes these nightly events... Reesche 0 261 11-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
  100+ CA Events Nightly haligonian 17 1,222 08-11-2023, 01:59 PM
Last Post: tdoty821
  Sleep horrible, number of nightly events have increased, charts provided. edyurgal 3 1,256 07-17-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Good nightly AHI, but lungs feel a bit taxed and still a little tired 8TheGreat 2 667 06-06-2022, 10:27 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  [Equipment] How should I pause CPAP (ResMed AS11) for a bathroom break? ThinMountainAir 7 12,635 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,046 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.