Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Pain
Pain
I'm a relative newbie to the world of CPAP/BiPap. How long does it take for my chest to stop hurting during & after I use my machine? It's been going on for several months now. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pain
(11-20-2018, 04:43 PM)flyingninja1234 Wrote: I'm a relative newbie to the world of CPAP/BiPap. How long does it take for my chest to stop hurting during & after I use my machine? It's been going on for several months now. Thanks.

Let's start with your settings, and why you are using ST.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Central Sleep Apnea. Thank you for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd have stated that for most you should not encounter pain after the few months you stated. However, Sleeprider has a valid point, and I saw your response to why the ST is Central Apnea. While that is potentially a valid answer and may be the right machine, I have noted that there's quite a number of central apnea patients that use the ASV, specifically the same I use, the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. IMO there's none better. I also have mild/medium level COPD, some say that indicates I ought to have an ST. Says I, with whole-hearted respect, no way not with what my treatment results are with my beloved ASV.

Tell us more about your situation such as posting the sleep study, titration, sleep reports via Sleepyhead helps tremendously. And those reports should have any personal info redacted (blacked out). Also then tell us what the reasoning is for an ST over an ASV. In my dangerously somewhat informed status, I know of maybe only 2 reasons for an ST over an ASV. #1 is of you having serious breathing issues like the COPD I mentioned (mine is not serious/strong enough yet). #2 is if your LVEF (left ventricle ejection fraction) is 45% or lower.

Let's see how we can help OK?

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I would have to look at the report. I'll try to get it on my next appointment. Is the ST usually prescribed for moderate to severe Sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2018, 05:48 PM)flyingninja1234 Wrote: Thank you. I would have to look at the report. I'll try to get it on my next appointment. Is the ST usually prescribed for moderate to severe Sleep apnea?

No, not for just general common sleep apnea. One possible reason for ST is the central apnea mentioned. There are other indicators, as I mentioned other breathing disease for one. CPAP, Auto CPAP and BPAP represent the majority of the machines issued. Obviously, most will start on a CPAP, unless the need for very high pressure is proven. In that case, a BPAP could be a patient's starting point, as BPAP operates up to 25 cmH2O, but the CPAP can only go to 20 cmH2O.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
you're welcome

BTW to clarify: always get a copy of those sleep study and titration reports, oh yes and the script too. Having these will eliminate stress and headaches later if ever needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST is for treating respiratory deficiency caused by neuromuscular disease, COPD and hypoventilation. ASV is for central and complex apnea, hypopnea, including CSR. Read the table on page 5 and the applicable conditions on pages 28 and 38. https://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/100...fGuide.pdf

If your doctor will prescribe the right machine for central apnea, ASV, then your discomfort will be resolved. We can help you get there, and you are far from the first member to report this problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 119 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,134 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 214 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 371 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 444 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 508 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Hip pain when waking up? rpierce 7 1,210 08-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.