Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ?
RE: Palate prolapse breathing pattern ?
Vcom is a flow restrictor. The intent is to mellow out the peak flows delivered by the machine on inspiration when there is a pressure drop from airflow but the machine boosts output to compensate for that pressure drop. The Vcom is invisible to the blower, and so when you inhale it allows the flow into your mask to cause that natural pressure drop independent of the machine's supply pressure.

On exhale, it restricts flow from going back into the hose. As such, the pressure inside your mask will be slightly higher than the CPAP supply pressure, because there is a resistance to flow that produces the same kind of pressure drop in reverse. The placement between mask and tube also ensures that CO2 is discharged from the mask vent as it should be.

Palatal prolapse is an expiratory phenomenon. EPR tends to increase the peak expiratory flow because expiration is largely passive. The body does not force the air out, it just relaxes all the respiratory muscles and the thoracic cavity returns to its normal size. The air goes out on its own, which happens more vigorously when the machine backs off the EPAP so that it is less than the pressure delivered to your system when you inhaled. This increase in peak flow makes it more likely for the soft palate to slam shut against the back of the nasal cavity when you are trying to exhale.

What the effects of Vcom mean for people with palatal prolapse is that the peak expiratiory flow may be slightly reduced because a high peak flow is subject to a pressure drop. Assuming EPR is off, supply pressure is constant on the machine side of the Vcom, and slightly higher than this inside the mask and respiratory system. This makes it take longer for the lungs and chest to passively return to their relaxed size. All of the work is done by the natural elasticity of your ribs and diaphragm. Think of it like letting the air out of a balloon: if you put a smaller nozzle on the balloon, the air will still come out, but it won't happen quite so fast, especially at the beginning of the process. This may give you a better chance of keeping your palate where it belongs.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your helpful explanation. 

I am not currently using Vcom, but I have been using EPR some which helps lower flow limitation, but it sounds like I can't have both... higher expiratory pressure and lower flow limits. Vcom might help with PP, but flow limitation would increase. Is this correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to make predictions like that for one's own self, let alone someone else.

Fundamentally, the EPR will still provide you with some enhanced ventilation due to the lowered supply pressure that you will eventually reach. Vcom will just blunt the curve, so it may do you some good. It isn't expensive, if you think it might help chuck a few dozen bucks at em and try it.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 127 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 243 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,785 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 401 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 427 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 380 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 20 1,230 04-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: 40plus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.