Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Pee (sorry!)
Pee (sorry!)
Hi everyone - I am one month in and two things I am worried about I hope seasoned CPAP users can help ease my mind with:

1) I no longer need to pee when I wake up. I was getting up twice in the night before CPAP and running to the bathroom when I wake up. Should I try a diuretic? Should I be concerned?

2) I am gaining weight like crazy! Up 12 pounds! Is this normal?

Thanks Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pee (sorry!)
It's normal for you not to have to get up during the night. But once you wake up you should normally be able to urinate. Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. Other things you can do is to cut back your sodium intake and make sure your drinking at least 64oz of water a day. I know it may seem strange but drinking more water will help you lose water weight.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vushi  - Welcome
Sleep apnea stresses the body and can raise your blood pressure.  Like a pressure cooker, your body's defense for increased pressure is to let off steam (urinate for humans).  That's why many of the older BP medicines where diuretics.   Your reduction in nighttime bathroom breaks is a sign that your CPAP therapy is working.  This is a GOOD thing.  

The weight gain is another story. It could be caused from medications or increased energy and appetite from better sleep.   Have ever heard or experienced the phrase, "Too tired to eat"?  Well, sleep apnea may cause this and using the CPAP negates this unintended diet.

One thing that is good; Using your CPAP will allow you to have a longer time to try to lose the extra pounds.  

Have a chocolate pecan gooey and plan out your new diet.  Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a great sign that your therapy is working. Before xPAP I was getting up three times a night. Now it's once or not at all depending on how many nightcaps I decide to have.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a continuous Cpap user for 23 years without a single missed night. No brag. Just establishing credibility. I strongly believe that you need to speak with your physician about your situation. Twelve lbs if the equivalent of 1 1/2 gallons of water. here is likely something else going on. Talk to the Doc. You'll get it straightened out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vushi!

What  WW. said to you make a lot of sense . I had a similar problem ,weight gain , swollen ankles . My dr. told me to exercise a little more but more important to keep an eye on my sodium intake . The salt they put in everything you eat is unbelievable . Water retention is part of the problem, after one week ankles back to normal , 2 months lost 18 pounds. The dr. visit advice is also real good .

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 08:46 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. 

There are drugs that cause enema(s)?  Never heard that.  It would be crappy if the doc prescribed those without explicitly telling you.....

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2018, 04:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 08:46 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. 

There are drugs that cause enema(s)?  Never heard that.  It would be crappy if the doc prescribed those without explicitly telling you.....

OMMOHY

I see what you did there  Dielaughing
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Cleaver
(06-28-2018, 04:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:

OMMOHY
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.