Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Please help! Severe chest and back pain, pain while breathing. EVERY morning!
Please help! Severe chest and back pain, pain while breathing. EVERY morning!
    [attachment=31982]Recently diagnosed with OSA, beyond severe, 100+ episodes/hour upon testing, O2 dropped to low 30s during severe apneas.
The machine has made quite a difference but now I continuously wake up with severe pain in my back and chest to the point it hurts to breathe. My respiratory therapists are at a loss as the pain should have subsided by now but it seems to be getting worse as each day goes on. They've since referred me back to my family physician who is also no help at this point. Chest xray is clear, awaiting results of pulmonary function test, but nothing yet to even begin to help alleviate the pain.
I'm going to attach all my screen shots from OSCAR from last night, I have had an O2 monitor for the last week and the data results have been a little intimidating to say the least.
Any advice, knowledge, compassion is very much so appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help! Severe chest and back pain, pain while breathing. EVERY morning!
Welcome - I’m so sorry you are having such pain. Your O2 is quite low for to long  Are you taking supplemental oxygen hooked up to your Cpap machine? 

I have been on night time Cpap O2 for years and has helped me greatly.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help! Severe chest and back pain, pain while breathing. EVERY morning!
No I am not, the O2 monitoring just began last week at home and has not been addressed by my doctor as I don't see him again until early June. They want the O2 sensor returned but I don't want to return it just yet as the data is quite alarmingly in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Early June, NO
see him TODAY!!! SERIOUSLY TODAY

Your O2 is going down to near critical levels

And get yourself an Oximeter if this one is not yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would ask the Dr for a prescription for oxygen as soon as possible. Please don’t wait. It helps you feel better. I have no idea how your country works having to do with this but you can buy a new concentrator for about 900 Us or used - refinished from 500 US. Places like Craigslist or eBay sell them also.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd bring this low oxygen drop info to the doctor's attention now. If they're not concerned fire the doc. This is a health concern that needs addressed ASAP. It was in the low to mid 80s around 02:20 for a duration of about 45 minutes. Call them and inform them.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know he is aware of the low oxygen. He was the one that informed about how low it was pre-cpap, 70's mostly and dropping to 30's during severe apnea which was frightening. It is an improvement but obviously not enough so.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s good he is aware but IT IS UP TO YOU to get oxygen. Call home today and ask for a prescription. You need to start using it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I created an account just to respond

Is it possible that you are having some type of positional acid reflux/heartburn? I had a similar issue years ago and had to start antacids/sleeping at a slight incline to resolve the issue. I had multiple ER, Cardiologists, etc. before I realized I was getting heartburn.... Coincidentally, severe heartburn increases my AHI a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally CPAP will correct a low Oxygen value. This is why a June follow-up.

THIS REQUIRES AN IMMEDIATE FOLLOW-UP!!

Do you have any other heart or breathing issues?
If not set your PS = 6
Set your EPAP Min to 14 to allow the increased PS. (Note: increased PS should improve your O2, BUT IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO NOT CALL YOUR DOCTOR)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,168 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 571 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 205 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.