Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Recently Diagnosed Severe Central Apnea
RE: Recently Diagnosed Severe Central Apnea
(10-10-2012, 06:46 PM)freeskier59 Wrote: The doctor said that CPAP relieves headache symptoms in about 30% of his patients that have chronic headache. He wasn't sure about the light sensitivity, but is prescribing me CPAP at 9cm water pressure for two weeks to see how I do. Hopefully this is the answer!

Ask DME provider for a full data reporting machine, so doctor and you can obtain as much info as possible during the trial. Good luck.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't mention marijuana use if you have stopped or aren't a regular user. You do not want this in your medical records, insurance being one reason.
I too never had desats- ever, even with severe apnea.
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to Babydoc a central apnea can only be verified by an accompanying 10% or more drop in O2 saturation.
If your sats are still 92% or higher you are still in the green...

Has anyone seen anything else like this?

Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
Central events are diagnosed and labeled with the same criteria as obstructive events - lack of breathing for 10 seconds or more. There is the "followed by a drop in blood saturation levels" bit (which applies to both central and obstructive events) but nowhere did I find a percentage it must drop in addition to the time frame. The only percentage I found was for hypopneas must result in a 3% drop in blood saturation. But I'm thinking it's this way to define what "shallow breathing" is since it would otherwise be an arbitrary term.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 04:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The only percentage I found was for hypopneas must result in a 3% drop in blood saturation. But I'm thinking it's this way to define what "shallow breathing" is since it would otherwise be an arbitrary term.

I'm not sure these definitions are standardized. A CPAP machine defines a hypopnea as a drop of some specified percentage in the breathing level. It has to, as it has no way to measure blood oxygen level.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FreeSkier59, Hopefully your therapy will clear things up for you. If any of the symptoms don't with your CPAP at least it will give you the process of elimination to deal with those differently. I believe you'll start feeling better once you get started. As mentioned above try for an Auto machine that is data capable so you can monitor your results and record them. Entry level machines won't do that. Glad you found us, lots of great information here and caring people! Welcome
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 05:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I'm not sure these definitions are standardized. A CPAP machine defines a hypopnea as a drop of some specified percentage in the breathing level. It has to, as it has no way to measure blood oxygen level.

That's what I was thinking, too. The only place I found that was discussing a polysom....a sleep test.

I think otherwise it is defined as a "50% reduction" in air flow.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 385 5 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 243 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,522 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.