Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] SEVERE STUFFINESS
SEVERE STUFFINESS
Hi everybody. I have had my CPAP machine since October 2019 and have been happy with my results....until about 6 weeks ago when I started experiencing extreme sinus/head stuffiness. I have awakened feeling as though I am suffocating because I am SO STUFFY.....it feels as though the "continuous positive air pressure" is not working because I cannot breath. 
However, my AHI is usually at 2.5, mask fit is 100% ok, periodic breathing is 0%, and my 30 day summary at 90% pressure is 6.4.  
I am now experiencing this incredible stuffiness during the day.The only thing that seems to help is using a nasal spray off and on all day and night; which is not a good thing to do. I have been to my Dr. who says I do not have a sinus infection. 
Nothing in my environment has changed to bring about this stuffiness......except for the CPAP.
Has anyone had this issue? If so, any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SEVERE STUFFINESS
Here's a video on the topic.

In short they talk about increasing the humidification and maybe a nasal spray if symptoms persist (avoid Afrin because of the rebound effect).
Also, a heated hose will help humidification adjustment if you aren't currently using one. Using a room humidifer can help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Tr6G5TeZY
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I started CPAP July 2019 and past 8 weeks awful stuffiness. Decongestant Nadal drops are only thing that helps but not good to take continuously
I thought CPAP may be cause but first few months were fine. Strange...
Post Reply Post Reply
A full face such as the F20 will cause my sinus to close within minutes. Cradle and hybrid masks like the N30i and F30 are better, but so far I get the best results (specifically regarding sinuses) with the P30i.

I have the humidity one step below the max, but the hose temp near the minimum (just enough to prevent rainout).

I have used Afrin when absolutely necessary, but that is very rare. All it takes is a single spray to give me brutal rebound around 24 hours later.

I use Fluticasone or Nasacort every night before bed. They are different, but I can’t say one is better than the other. I currently use Nasacort because my wife likes it.

Capsaicin nasal spray (seriously!) helps, and has no rebound. If you like spice food, Capsinol Original Formula is great. I use it occasionally to open up if I’m really clogged. Xlear Max is milder. It’s saline with Xylitol and just a little capsaicin. Regular Xlear does not have capsaicin at all. Some people like it if they are having trouble with their sinuses getting dry, but it doesn’t do much for me.

I also found that increasing my machine pressure a little and increasing the pressure relief helped some, but that may cause other problems for some. I would post your Oscar data for review before trying that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Persistent congestion can arise from allergies. I found a lot of relief from seasonal congestion using fluticasone propionate spray (Flonase). It is inexpensive and safe for extended use. I don't have particularly bad allergies, but some times of year I get similar congestion that makes therapy difficult to tolerate and I'll find myself mouth breathing during the day. Give the OTC Flonase a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a CPAP user for 3 years and have bouts of stuffiness every few months. I have successfully used nasal washing with a netty pot along with frequest use of saline nasal spray to mitigate the issue. I have also found that if I give the system a through cleaning with a hot water/vinegar/antimicrobal soap solution the stuffiness improves quickly.  I mean a very  through cleaning and soak of all components including the gaskets and the gasket seats in the machine using an old child's tooth brush on all areas I can reach with it.  Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2020, 08:36 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: Capsaicin nasal spray (seriously!) helps, and has no rebound. If you like spice food, Capsinol Original Formula is great. I use it occasionally to open up if I’m really clogged. Xlear Max is milder. It’s saline with Xylitol and just a little capsaicin. Regular Xlear does not have capsaicin at all. Some people like it if they are having trouble with their sinuses getting dry, but it  doesn’t do much for me.
 I resort to Drixoral (another version of Afrin). The rebound stuffiness is nasty but you do what you need to if you want to breathe. I have ordered some Capsaicin spray just to see if it works and how bad it is. Here's hoping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes I get a little stuffiness at night when I am on my ASV machine. I sometimes take a 12 hour time released Sudafed for relief. I know a lot of people probably won't want to take a Sudafed because it may keep them awake. For me, I can sleep easily with one onboard, and definitely better than with the stuffiness. The relief comes quickly in about 10 to 15 minutes and has a gradual fade after 10 to 11 hours.

I also take one during the day for allergies. It seems like I need to take one only about once every few months, but it's the only thing that works for me. I have tried many other OTC and prescription meds, sometimes with nasty side effects and all with no relief of my congestion. Also, I rarely need to take one every 12 hours unless I'm actually sick with a cold or flu and need to treat the symptoms.

Not for everybody, understandably, but if you want to give it a try, they are pretty cheap.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
My allergist has me using Flonase once a day and Azelastine spray (prescription only) twice a day. She also recommends using NeilMed nasal rinse from time to time, plus a saline nasal spray however often I like.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 557 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.