Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
RE: Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
Your worst night was with CPAP at 8.4.
Your Doc said you shouldn't use APAP, my response to him would be that CPAP mode, any machine, can increase the instance of CA in a susceptible person by simply washing out too much CO2.  High (not bad) CO2 is the main signal for us to breathe, it is complicated but that is the simple explanation.  Low CO2 levels are the single and by far most common cause of central apneas.
Seriously, don't be afraid of that, especially here, IF we see that happening here on AB we always recommend settings to offset it.  Here is a partial list of what MAY, not WILL, elevate CA events.
  1. higher EPR/PS (pressure support)
  2. Higher pressures
  3. Uneven pressures
  4. Using medium and lower Trigger settings on a BiLevel
  5. Meds, especially pain meds like opioids, CNS meds
The following medical conditions can also cause Central Apnea
  1. CHF (Congestive Heart Failure)
  2. Stroke
  3. Seizure
  4. Brain Injury
  5. Obesity
  6. neuromuscular disorders, especially those that affect the diaphragm

Your charts all say via the leak chart that you are mouth breathing via the flat tops of the leak rate chart.  Mask leaks usually have a series of spikes.  We need to identify and correct the cause of your "Large Leaks" and any leaks that are disturbing your sleep.  This is your one consistently off parameter.  

We need to see why your sleep is being disturbed.  Be aware at this time IMHO, the cause is NOT apnea, you simply do not have enough events.  Apnea is NOT the only thing that could be causing your symptoms.  Thus, I'm sure, the NP's recommendation to see a Sleep Psychologist 

Because of your gasping comment, I'd like you to try
Min pressure = 12 (+2 from APAP success)
Max pressure = 20 
EPR=3 Fulltime.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
Amazing information, thank you so much! I will give this a try and keep checking my reports. You have provided more of an explanation in one post than I have received in 5 years. I do have night terrors (since early childhood) and REM Behavior Disorder (diagnosed by NP). I have been taking a small dose of clonazapam just before bed for a few years now, which has helped but the feeling of shortness of breath has eased its way back into the mornings for the last year or so. Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 173 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 518 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 226 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 131 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 132 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 140 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 192 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.