Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
I hope someone has some advise for me. I've been on my Airsense 10 APAP for about 5 years. I've never felt like it has really done anything thing for me. I have never had an in lab titration study, but have had several home studies that have indicated lower levels of O2, even on the machine, but not low enough to warrant O2 being approved by my insurance. Anyway, I have REM Behavior Disorder and have since I was a child. I believe it is due to my not breathing but was prescribed an anti stress med to take before bed. The episodes have lessened but not gone away.

Back the the shallow breathing issue. I have noticed that I feel like I am choking in my sleep. Recently I've been wearing my APAP for about an hour before bed to see if I have noticed anything and I have. I am a very shallow breather and sometimes completely stop breathing. When I do this, the Airsense does absolutely nothing. It doesn't push any additional air until I initiate a significant breath. There are times when I catch myself breathing so shallow that the Airsense doesn't detect my breaths and almost prevents me from breathing, like I have to work against the machine and breathe harder to get it to kick in with a puff of air. If I am taking a deeper breath, it will almost stop me from breathing at the top end of the breath.

Am I crazy? Is APAP not for me? I have almost exclusive central apnea and the machine never detects over .5 AHI, ever, however I know that something isn't right because it wakes me up nightly, and sometimes several times per night. My sleep NP's solution was to turn the machine off and on again during the night but it only solves the problem for a few breaths and then goes back to not detecting shallow breaths.

Any advice? I do not have a ramp on and the APAP settings are 9-20, but my average is always like 9.something.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues
"I have almost exclusive central apnea"  

Welcome to Apnea Board!

It sounds like you may be on the wrong type machine.  An Apap cannot treat central sleep apnea.  

Without seeing some data, and with a AHI of .5, it's impossible to say what exactly is going on.

Please download the free OSCAR software.  Be sure there is an SD card in your machine.  After a night or two of sleep, post a Screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR.

Follow the Link below in my signature line to guide you.  We would be happy to take a look.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I was able to download my data and OSCAR. Here are some screenshots. I was really wondering if APAP was appropriate and I am now really feeling like my Sleep NP has no clue what he is talking about. 

These are from last night. I definitely felt like I was not getting air, especially before I woke up and yanked my mask off.

Here are the rest from last night.

And here are some from a couple nights ago. I just chose at random.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
And last 2

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see a Clear Airway problem at all.  In fact, your numbers are good!

You are having some problems with mouth breathing and possible mask leaks as your leak chart indicates.  That may be why you feel you're not getting enough air and end up ripping off your mask.

Your respiratory graph isn't too smooth either, but that may be the REM Behavior Disorder you mention.

The shallow breathing and low oxygen level is a little concerning, but no cause for alarm.  If it were me, I would discuss these issues with a Pulmonologist.  He/She can run an overnight oxygen test.  You may need supplemental oxygen.  

Also, know that the Apap cannot initiate a breath.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take heart.

My storeys not important. However, know that my treatment only provided me with good care when I asked for help, and accepted the recommendations.

I am a shallow brother too. Day and night. Getting the right equipment was first task. Getting it set up properly was the second task.

Are you happy with your mask?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I tried switching to CPAP only mode last night and have no idea what I am looking at here, but the numbers seem worse?? I didn't experience any episodes of feeling like I gasped for air last night. That was the first time in a long time that I felt that way, but if the numbers don't lie, I am not sure that was a great idea for me. Can you explain what some of these indicators mean?

Last 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Why no EPR?
EPR manages Hypopneas, Flow Limits, RERAs. It also serves ae it's intended fum=nction or pressure relief which can have a definite impact on your comfort. Your were at EPR=3 so I am not surprised at the increase in events,
You also unintentionally turned off the Flow Limit monitoring by going to CPAP only mode.
For CPAP effect try Auto mode, Min = max pressure = 8.4. BTW Why 8.4?

To get a feel for interpretation of OSCAR values read the wiki article "OSCAR - The Guide".
Post Reply Post Reply
I do like my mask quite a bit. I have quite a hard time getting anyone at my sleep center to listen to the things I say and am currently trying to switch providers to try and find solutions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for this information. I went to CPAP mode due to a comment from my PCP that said people with central apnea shouldn't be using Apap mode. I have had a difficult time getting my sleep nurse practitioner to listen to me. I've never talked to the sleep doctor and they won't schedule me with him so I am looking for an alternative provider to help get me some answers. Unfortunately I reached my breaking point recently with waking up nightly, gasping for air and the NP recommended I see a sleep psychologist instead of just letting me do an in lab study with titration. I even offered to pay for it, and he said my money would be better spent with a psychologist. That really upset me so I took to the internet to see if there was something that he may have been overlooking. 

I will read the wiki pages now. I turned EPR back on and am going to see how I do. The 8.4 setting was a total stab in the dark. Since I've never had a titration study, the initial number they set me at was 8 on the low end I believe. I am willing to try anything at this point just so I can get 1 good night of sleep. This process is so frustrating when medical professionals don't seem to listen or care.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 214 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.