Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Short of breath during the day, but fine at night?
Question 
Short of breath during the day, but fine at night?
Hi. Hoping someone here can provide some info on what I'm experiencing.

I seem to be experiencing shortness of breath, chest tightness and fatigue during the morning and day.

However, at about 5pm or 6pm, all of a sudden I feel perfectly fine. After waking up, I feel quite refreshed and energized for about an hour or so before I start feeling short of breath again.

Does anyone know why I would feel bad during the day but perfectly well during the evening and night?

As a result of this, I find myself catching up on work I should have been doing during the day in the evenings, sometimes working up till 8 or 9pm when my head is actually clear and I don't have to spend half of my concentration on trying to catch my breath.

I hate not feeling normal during the day when I'm meant to be at my most productive!

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Short of breath during the day, but fine at night?
I would suggest an evaluation by a Pulmonologist. It could be the start of something easily dealt with before it gets any worse. Morning and day usually occur right after you've been asleep all night, so perhaps something is causing your congestion while you are less than upright. Or it might not be anything at all. In any case, a nice spirometry test first thing in the morning, and another in the evening might be something good to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi appleii,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might check in with your doc about this problem you are having.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything to do with tightness in the chest requires a doctor immediately if not sooner. This is not something to fool around with. And is not something to go to a forum to ask about. Get to your GP quickly. Even if it is nothing, you'll know. And we'll know. And we won't wonder what happened to you.

Are you running your humidifier? If you are, it could be the humidification is helping in someway during the night. The benefits run out during the day. Do you work? Perhaps the air there is dryer. You come home where perhaps it is more humid, and you feel better.

Could also be psychological. The machine at night means you won't die. You sleep better with that thought. The anxiety of it all, the weight of the diagnosis, creeps up on you until it is relieved as the time for bed approaches.

Just hypothesizing from where I sit.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 534 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 419 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 295 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,195 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 457 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  [Pressure] A few weeks in, how can I fine tune my settings? Keicereal 5 391 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Keicereal
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,633 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.