Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Sleep Hangover
Sleep Hangover
Using CPAP machine for just over a year now. After initial getting use to machine/mask/etc can now sleep entire night with mask on. receiving excellent numbers from sleep data and can feel the difference. i am, however, waking up with hangover type symptoms including foggy brain, light-headed, pressure below eyes, a general blah feeling. it last all day long. I am not having any headaches nor am I dehydrated. i am not taking any sleep aid medication nor have any other health issues. my assumption is the good sleep I am getting now is foreign to my brain and I just need to give myself time to overcome this dilemma. but it has been months having a hangover every day so.... any one have any thoughts/insights?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Hangover
hello cpapuserdave. I'm not the guy that'll help you in much detail. I'm sure the folks that will are going to ask you to get your very own copy of Sleephead software and post some documentation of what's happening between you and your machine (follow links in many of the more experienced members signature). about all I can do is empathize. 'hungover' is the term I've long used to describe how bad I've felt even after a year and a half on apap. ahi's bouncing around 5 but feeling like you know what. ahi and 'compliance' aren't the only or even best measures of therapeutic efficacy. folks here will ask: but how do you feel? the good news is that you will likely find some practical and effective guidance here once you post some sleepyhead charts. the more experienced members will be along...
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the input Sheepless. do not have SleepyHead downloaded yet but the data i get from my ResMed Machine are:

Pressure = 7.9
Leak = 5L/Min
AHI = 0.6
TotalAI = 0.4
CentralAI = 0.1

i feel once i get over this hangover effect, i'll be good to go and start enjoying my social life again. Staying positive!

hope this helps future repliers
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2018, 05:59 PM)CPAPUserDave Wrote: thanks for the input Sheepless. do not have SleepyHead downloaded yet but the data i get from my ResMed Machine are:

Pressure = 7.9
Leak = 5L/Min
AHI = 0.6
TotalAI = 0.4
CentralAI = 0.1

i feel once i get over this hangover effect, i'll be good to go and start enjoying my social life again. Staying positive!

hope this helps future repliers

Hello, CPAPUserDave, and welcome to the family/fun/forum!  I'm a little sad that you're coming in with these complaints instead of boasting of how wonderful your therapy has mad you feel.  I'm sure you've already recognized that we have a number of gurus, and many, many very knowledgeable and experienced users who help folks like me to improve their therapy.

As sheepless suggested, posting a SleepyHead chart from last night or even from two or three nights will be necessary for you to get all the advice and help that you need.  You're using a machine that provides a lot of data, much more than what you've listed.  These numbers make it look like your therapy is great, and your complaint about your feelings make it clear that it's only helping part of the conditions.

If you haven't already found it, here's the link: SleepyHead Install

At some point you will want to read an article called Beginner's Guide, though please don't wait to post charts until you have digested it!  Here's the link to it: Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Before you start, make sure your machine has an SD card in it.  You may already know it's behind the lilttle rubber flap on the left end of your machine, in the top front corner.  (Mine was very stiff, and I was nervous about breaking it the first time I opened it, but I got it open without breaking my thumbnail as I feared was going to happen.)  If your machine doesn't have one, any high-density SD card (SDHD or SDXD) over 1Gb will work fine.  (Hint: the price of higher capacity cards is usually less than lower capacity cards; anything up to 32Gb will work in the AirSense.)
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds somewhat like what I went through on the BPAP machine which I eventually found was an incompatible therapy for me. For myself, it was due to central apneas. Not saying yours is that too. Regardless, wishing you the best on getting this resolved.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
cpapuserdave, on the face of it, the numbers you posted above suggest you ought to be feeling pretty darn good. many people here would give a lot to have numbers like yours. that's why if you're feeling poorly it's so important you get sleepyhead to collect and display important data your machine produces. it's necessary to drill down into the guts of the data to determine what's going on. easy to follow instructions for getting your data organized are readily available on this site, but don't hesitate to ask for additional help.
Post Reply Post Reply
dave 
I am not sure your machine has an SD card if it is indeed a Resmed Airsense 10. If memory serves me correctly that machine does not have one. What does the machine say on the lower right front below the round button?

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine says ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

Does have a slot for SD card but not one in it now
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2018, 07:52 PM)CPAPUserDave Wrote: Machine says ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset

Does have a slot for SD card but not one in it now

Get an SD card and pop in the APap any size will do the cheapest you can find in your local store and then spend a couple of nights sleeping with the machine to capture detailed data. Post some daily charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks dave for the info
follow jaswilliams advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,201 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.