Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Sleep paralysis every time I use my CPAP
Sleep paralysis every time I use my CPAP
I have seen several threads mention sleep paralysis. I've had issues with sleep paralysis for years, I've learned to deal with it. 

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome several years ago and was scheduled to have a sleep study and a multi sleep latency test (MSLT) In order to test for narcolepsy. 

I've had two previous sleep test that said no sleep apnea, but a sleep disorder is present. They were both conducted outside of the VA. This third test was a the VA and by VA standards, which are not public standards, they said that I have sleep apnea and did not do the MSLT.  

The first night was the worst. I woke up about two hours after I went to sleep. I was paralyzed in the sense that I was just an observer of what was happening. 

My body was convulsing and I was gasping for air. I was in able to do anything about it. The second night I woke up, could not move, and was terrified that I was on a ventilator. Last night, I woke up every two hours and could feel the air being forced into my lungs. 

I feel worse, I have a constant head ache, and I'm sleeping all day, though that could just be the CFS. 

Has anyone else had this happen? Please tell me that I am not alone and that it will get better. I doubt that the sleep paralysis is going anywhere. I've had it for a long time. I just want know, from someone who has similar experiences, how they handled it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep paralysis every time I use my CPAP
Well since you have ME/CFS you probably wont find any help here regarding that. Though I can say that a cpap is definitely going to help your ME/CFS symptoms, like non-refreshing sleep. Sleep paralysis on one hand without cpap is terrifying, but you said it yourself, you felt air being pumped into your lungs, so it was working, you were getting air, great! Meaning you just have to ease into it and remember that even thought you might get sleep paralysis, you are not going to die anymore, the cpap will help you through the stage and you can rest assured now. It's time to re-train your brain that you wont die and theres no need to panic.

Theres nothing terryfying about being on a ventilator, its a life support mechanism.

On the side note, how well are you informed about your ME/CFS? Check here to see if you know the key facts about your disease. Also check out Open Medicine Foundation for info on the latest research.

ME/CFS is not just in your head. It's a real disease.
Post Reply Post Reply
With your sleep pressure so low (5.0) I wonder if that isn't part of the problem? 4 and 5 are considered pediatric pressures as most adults can't breathe well with it that low.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll ask about the pressure and see what the Doctor thinks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might help you get used to cpap is to wear it whlie watching tv or reading a book that way you get your mind and body used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.