Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion?
RE: Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion?
There is a patch that's used to repair bicycle tire tubes that requires no glue. They're transluscent squares. You might try that on the inside of the mask. I wouldn't bother with it, though. Just replace it as it's probably worn out anyway.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 07:28 PM)big_dave Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 07:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If this only lasted 3 weeks either you are cleaning it incorrectly or it is defective. Contact the place you got it from and complain.

Or possibly it wasn't new when I bought it (and the machine) from Craigslist. It looked new, but there was an old, stretched-out headgear attached to the mask. Also I believe the machine sat in a closet for several years before I got it. I bought it from a young, skinny guy who inherited it.
I was watching videos on YouTube about mask leaks, when I found one by a sleep technician who has shed some light on the problem. He said that when adjusting your mask, pull it away from your face to avoid creases. It had not occurred to me that the mask cushion would crease. Crease becomes a tear--mystery solved.

I was getting backaches from sleeping on an old, worn-out mattress, so I replaced it with an air mattress and a memory foam topper when I moved to a new apartment about a week ago. This has been a vast improvement. It is very comfortable, although it is difficult to move around on it and I am unable to sit up. (Using the topper with the old mattress wasn’t an option because it was too small for me, and my feet were dangling past the end.) I’m sure my mask has taken a beating during the transition, although I am adapting to the new bed.

Thanks for the info, everyone! Since I’m not using a local DME, I have not had the opportunity to meet with a respiratory technician, and I have been dependent on Google, the boards, ResMed’s series of videos, and YouTube for information. I was lucky to get a mask that’s ideal for me on the first try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people wear their CPAP mask way too tight against their skin. It's a common mistake and can cause leak issues and these types of "creases" you're talking about that might lead to tears in the material. The CPAP mask is supposed to almost "float" against the skin, not be smashed up against it.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi big_dave, I would change that old cushion, especially since you bought it with a "used," machine. You really don't know how "used,) it was when you bought it, even though it looked new. I understand that you want to be cheap, but WOW,! That's carryin' it a little far, isn't it, (Ha-Ha-ha?) You could always stockpile cushions here and there so you won't have to "repair" old ones, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm out of work so I have to pinch pennies--but I have stockpiled them. One eBay seller tried to sell about ten of them all at once, so I was able to get five for $50.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again big_dave, I know what you mean about pinching pennies, it makes it tough when you're out of work, I'm sure sorry to hear that. Anyway, it's good that you found 5 of those cushions for such a good price. Best of luck on finding work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 140 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 455 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 410 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 492 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 373 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,937 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 690 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.