Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Issues help
Mask Issues help
I am a first time user of the cpap machine. I have a full mask that covers my mouth and nose. I have had issues this week with the mask making short and long air sounds. It is like the machine is blowing bubbles. It has woken me up several time. There is also light air seepage on the sides and bottom sometimes. Please help. I am going today to hopefully replace this mask. I'm thinking that it is too big and is lifting off of my face. ANy suggestions out there???? mpp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Issues help
Welcome to the forum!!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

How long were you using your mask? Did you work with a DME fitting your full face mask?

I would definitely get with whoever is providing the CPAP machine and mask to see about getting a different type or size of mask. My 2 cents worth.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board, melvap1! Hopefully, you received a different mask by now or at least some tips from your DME about getting the mask properly sealed. You list your machine as an S9, but didn't indicate which S9 you have. If it is either the S9 Elite or AutoSet, there is an easy mask-fit check you can do using the S9's screen. It's described on p. 7 of the ResMed booklet of instructions for the S9. Apparently, this mask-fit check is not available on the S9 Escape or the S9 Escape Auto.
Selecting the best mask for you as well as finding the headgear tension and fit is a personal matter. What works for one person may not work for another. You'll also read here on the forum that having a mask too tight on your face may actually disturb its seal and create leaks. On the other hand, if it's too loose, that also leads to leaks. Hearing bubbles or other air leaking sounds other than air from the mask's exhale port certainly is not what you want. Not only is it annoying when you're trying to sleep, it also can mean that you are not getting the proper air pressure delivered from the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sounds may be from what is called 'rainout'. It is where condensation from either the humidifier or the user's exhalation gathers and makes noise as the user breathes (or as the machine blows if it is in the hose).

Do you use the humidifier? If you do, turn it down a notch. Consider also getting the ClimateLine hose. This heats the air as it goes through the hose, keeping it from forming condensation.

Some leaking in full face masks will happen. And like Dawai said above, over tightening can cause more leaks.

Which mask do you have? Have you tried any others? Why do you use a full face mask? Because you breathe through your mouth?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2012, 10:54 AM)Melvap1 Wrote: Please help. I am going today to hopefully replace this mask. I'm thinking that it is too big and is lifting off of my face. ANy suggestions out there???? mpp

Hello Melvap1, and welcome!

Going to your provider to see about getting the mask replaced is the right thing to do. Sometimes we have to go through several masks before we find one that fits us properly. Here's the best advice I can give you:

DON'T BE EMBARRASED ABOUT THIS!

It is perfectly normal. Providers and insurance companies have easy return policies on masks because they know it's very hard to fit a patient with a mask that doesn't leak. And it's normal to try the mask for a night or more before discovering that it just won't work for you.

There are also hybrid masks with separate parts that cover the mouth and nostrils. You may prefer one of those.

Do you know why you've been given a full face mask instead of a nasal mask? Nasal masks don't cover the mouth, and so are easier to fit.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melvap1 -

Welcome to the forum. Sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting the strap tension - a little tighter or a little looser might fix the problem. Or it might be that the particular mask isn't a good fit for you. There are a lot of mask styles and models made by a variety of companies - some of them are pretty likely to work well for you, although they might not be the first thing you try.

Unless you are sure you need a full-face mask, I'd encourage you to try the ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask, which is what I use with my S9. I'm sure there are other good alternatives, but this is a ResMed product (so the DME that provided the S9 will probably carry this model), and I've had a good experience with it so far. And nasal masks, being a bit smaller than full-face masks, are likely to be a bit easier to fit.

As mentioned already, DMEs are usually willing to let you try different styles/models to see which works well for you - this is normal, so you should not feel reluctant to keep trying different masks until you find something that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its quite normal to try several types and sizes of masks to find one that works for you all night every night. Are you fitting the mask at the set pressure 14? If you fit it at the ramp pressure it,ll start to leak as the pressure increases. Try the mask lying down and don,t over tighten the straps it doesn't work this way and the cushion ought to be filled with air and inflate in order to seal properly.
Mask liner can help get a better seal and mask farts noises. You may find a nasal mask and chinstrap to keep mouth closed works better as it only cover the nose (nasal pillows have the least contact with face as the pillows rest on the nostrils) but have to breathe through the nose all night which should not be a problem if you don,t have a drastic issue with nose. Full face mask should be the last resort and is good to have as spare to use when congested.
Hope you may find this information guide from Respironcis helpful
http://sleepapnea.com/sleep_patients/new...tings.aspx

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melbap1, First, Welcome! to the forum. It's good that you are going to your DME to talk to them about a different mask. Don't be shy about asking to try as many different masks as you need to. Sometimes it takes a while to get just the right one. Good luck on your quest to find just the right mask for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 85 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 128 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 194 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 237 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 673 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,304 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  Airsense 11 / SD Card issues shedawg 9 700 01-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.