Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Sore throat & dry mouth/tongue
Sore throat & dry mouth/tongue
I have searched in vain for an answer to my problem. Since I have been successfully using C-pap for more than 20 years I am puzzled by recent developments. Recently I had a new sleep study, during which they found that my pressure needed to be increased from 10 CM/h2o to 18 CM/h2o. I immediately began having painful dry throat and mouth. Doctor reduced pressure to 15CM but does not know what else can be done. I am still having the problem, which I did not have at a pressure of 10CM/h2o. Using Respironics System ONE with humidifier set at 5 (max) and a well fitted Activa mask. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sore throat & dry mouth/tongue
(03-04-2012, 03:50 PM)BaltimoreBob Wrote: I have searched in vain for an answer to my problem. Since I have been successfully using C-pap for more than 20 years I am puzzled by recent developments. Recently I had a new sleep study, during which they found that my pressure needed to be increased from 10 CM/h2o to 18 CM/h2o. I immediately began having painful dry throat and mouth. Doctor reduced pressure to 15CM but does not know what else can be done. I am still having the problem, which I did not have at a pressure of 10CM/h2o. Using Respironics System ONE with humidifier set at 5 (max) and a well fitted Activa mask. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I think one possibility is mouth leak. What you are describing sounds like the issues that occur when the air from CPAP blows out through the mouth over an extended period of time. The increased pressure can increase the chances of mouth leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BaltimoreBob and welcome
Try turn humidity down, may it,s too high.
May be you,re mouth breathing, Try a chinstrap or full face mask
If it,s pressure related may be APAP might be a better option as you might don,t 18 all night long.
What,s the AHI and leak while using setting at 10, 15 and 18.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 04:20 PM)Ltmedic66 Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 03:50 PM)BaltimoreBob Wrote: I have searched in vain for an answer to my problem. Since I have been successfully using C-pap for more than 20 years I am puzzled by recent developments. Recently I had a new sleep study, during which they found that my pressure needed to be increased from 10 CM/h2o to 18 CM/h2o. I immediately began having painful dry throat and mouth. Doctor reduced pressure to 15CM but does not know what else can be done. I am still having the problem, which I did not have at a pressure of 10CM/h2o. Using Respironics System ONE with humidifier set at 5 (max) and a well fitted Activa mask. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I think one possibility is mouth leak. What you are describing sounds like the issues that occur when the air from CPAP blows out through the mouth over an extended period of time. The increased pressure can increase the chances of mouth leak.

I agree wth Ltmedic66.
The increased pressure is causing air to be leaking out of your mouth.

I would consider trying a chinstrap.

The other option is to switch to a full face mask, but remember that breathing through your nose is the most natural & best way. See this: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

Using a full face mask will only encourage further mouth breathing.

Besides, full face masks are notorious for leaking, although some people never seem to have a problem.

Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
Bob,

I tried a nasel mask and didn't like it. Air kept escaping from the mouth even with the chin strap. My BiPap pressure was 21/25 and now lowered to 16/20. Later I found that nasel masks are for under 15 rating. My nose started bleeding after a couple of days with my high pressure.
I now use a Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431 Full Face Mask. The silicone cushion has a tab that fits UNDER the chin and seems to help keep the mask from "Riding-Up" while keeping my mouth closed. Other masks fit in the area between the lower lip and the chin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 04:55 PM)sailor4you Wrote: Bob,

I tried a nasel mask and didn't like it. Air kept escaping from the mouth even with the chin strap. My BiPap pressure was 21/25 and now lowered to 16/20. Later I found that nasel masks are for under 15 rating. My nose started bleeding after a couple of days with my high pressure.
I now use a Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431 Full Face Mask. The silicone cushion has a tab that fits UNDER the chin and seems to help keep the mask from "Riding-Up" while keeping my mouth closed. Other masks fit in the area between the lower lip and the chin.

Thank you Sailor. I really appreciate the time that you took to tell me this valuable information. I will be having a discussion with my Doc tomorrow so he can Rx a different mask.
Best to you,
BaltimoreBob
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BaltimoreBob, Welcome! to the forum. Did you notice any problems before theyraised your pressure from 10 to 18, that soundslike a pretty big jump all at once. If you were doing okay at 10, it sounds like something was fixed, so they had to break it, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,) just joking of course, (Ha-Ha.) Anyway,Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
BaltimoreBob, that is a huge jump in pressure. There are dental products on the market for dry mouth which may help. The only brand I know of is Biotene. A friend of mine uses the gel. He takes a dab of it and carefully with the tip of his tongue he places it behind his front teeth and leaves it there to dissolve over night. I would use everything- the toothpaste, mouthqwash, and gel. I am not affiliated with the company.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.