Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Still feel bad in the morning
Gross 
Still feel bad in the morning

Started using CPAP with S9 autoset about 1 year ago. Very compliant with use.
I have not felt good one single morning from using CPAP. I still feel anxious, slightly nauseas, and somewhat short of breath. I can't give up as if I do not use CPAP, I am profoundly affected upon waking up with apnea. I moniter my oxygen about once a week, and I manage to stay above 90. What happened to the wonderful refreshed feeling you're supposed to have when you wake up?
I go to the best sleep center in my state, and my AHI's on my machine are never more than 0.9. I am currently set at 7-12cm. Sleep apnea went undiagnosed for 3 years, and did do some heart damage, but don't know to what extent.
I despise CPAP. I despise sleep apnea even more. I am totally devastated over this diagnosis, and understand why people think about hurting themselves.
Any words of comfort, wisdom? Would surely be appreciated.
Thanks, depressed in DP
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still feel bad in the morning
First, I would look at the data from your SD card and see what it shows. Can you post your data from your last night of sleeping so we could see if there are issues/what issues there are (from last night)?

Secondly, have you discussed this with your doctor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. I've read that some folks download the chip and then are not able to restore it into their machine??
Is there a reliable way to download the software and not interfere with the way the chip records after you download it? Which website is the most reliable for the download?
I'm relieved I got a reply. Thank You very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2013, 10:09 AM)ppowers Wrote: Thanks for the response. I've read that some folks download the chip and then are not able to restore it into their machine??
Is there a reliable way to download the software and not interfere with the way the chip records after you download it? Which website is the most reliable for the download?
I'm relieved I got a reply. Thank You very much.

I use both ResScan and Sleepy Head and I download the information from my SD card daily (some do it twice weekly but I am watching to see if things get better, worse, stay the same) and I have not had any problems.

I think that a lot of the problems have been because of the operating system they have. I think someone else suggested locking the card before putting it in the computer so nothing can be written to it.

here is the link for sleepy head

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhe...e/download
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure if I will be much of a help to you or not. I've been on PAP therapy for around 12 years, my resting heart rate spiked up to 122 and would not come down (how I found out I had OSA). While the machine has overall improved my life greatly, and I won't even take a 30 minute nap without it, I have never woken up 'refreshed' in the morning.

Even today, getting a decent night's sleep, AHI 15, AI 1.4, leak 0.32L/s - It has taken me 2hrs to 'wake up' and become uncreaky.

I figure I am just one of those people that is not a 'morning person'. I feel both more alive and better at 11PM than I ever feel at 10AM or noon.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
ppowers,

Welcome to the forum.

You asked:
Quote: What happened to the wonderful refreshed feeling you're supposed to have when you wake up?
Many of us NEVER experience "the wonderful refreshed feeling you're supposed to have when you wake up" just because we're using a CPAP. The reasons why are many and varied, but they all boil down to some version of this:

CPAP does not fix bad sleep. CPAP fixes only one thing: sleep disordered breathing.

If the only cause of your bad sleep is sleep disordered breathing AND using a CPAP does not increase or trigger problems with insomnia or restlessness or excessive wakes AND the damage your body had incurred from OSA is not too extensive, then yes, CPAP can fix all your sleep problems and you can wake up feeling fantastic. But most PAPers don't actually wake up with a "wonderful refreshed feeling" every single morning. And many PAPers don't wake up with a "wonderful refreshed feeling" on most mornings.

But---(and it's an important but) we do wake feeling better than we used to pre-CPAP in some kind of measurable way.

For me, sleeping with a PAP means I wake up with a lack of pain in my hands and feet. Seriously, that's about the only identifiable difference I can directly attribute to CPAP after 3 solid years of PAPing. But not waking up with pain in my hands and feet is a small, but significant improvement even though I only feel a tiny bit better at waking----i.e. I'm less cranky in the morning because I'm in less pain, even though I don't feel wonderfully refreshed. Just as important, no hand and foot pain means that the level of chronic inflammation in my body has significantly decreased, and that's important for my long term health.

You state:
(11-04-2013, 09:42 AM)ppowers Wrote: Started using CPAP with S9 autoset about 1 year ago. Very compliant with use.
I have not felt good one single morning from using CPAP. I still feel anxious, slightly nauseas, and somewhat short of breath. I can't give up as if I do not use CPAP, I am profoundly affected upon waking up with apnea. (emphasis added)
Later on in your post you say your AHI is consistently below 1.0. This means that your CPAP machine is doing its job: You are no longer having dozens to hundreds of apneas and hypopneas each and every night. Your sleep breathing has stabilized. That's all the CPAP can do for you.

And next look at the statement that I've italicized: Can you describe how you feel when you wake up after NOT using the CPAP? And then describe how you fee when you wake up after using the CPAP? Is there even a small, positive difference when you use the CPAP? If so, you need to focus positively on what CPAP is achieving for you and build on that.

But the fact remains: You are still anxious, slightly nauseous, and short of breath. And you're not waking up feeling particularly rested in the morning. So it's time to start trouble shooting on what kinds of things might be causing the ongoing problems.

Some questions to get you started on your quest to feel better:

1) Are there problems DIRECTLY caused by using the CPAP? Is your mask uncomfortable? Does the exhaust flow bother you? Is there too much air coming through the mask for you to breath comfortably? Is there too little air coming through the mask for you to breath comfortably? Do you have problems with leaks? Do you wake up with a dry mouth or dry nose? Do you feel as though the mask or hose impairs your ability to move around in bed? Do you feel as though the mask prevents you from sleeping in your preferred sleeping position? Does the noise bother you? Obviously these are the problems that you'll get the most advice on how to fix in a forum like this.

2) Do you have sleep problems OTHER than OSA or CPAP adjustment problems? How long does it take you to get to sleep at night? How often do you wake up during the night? When do you go to bed? When do you wake up in the morning? How regular is your sleep schedule? Fragmented sleep has all kinds of causes other than OSA. Now that your OSA is under control through the use of your CPAP, you need to consider what else might be causing fragmented sleep. If your sleep is fragmented for any reason, then you won't feel at your best in the morning.

3) You say that there is some heart damage from the years of undiagnosed OSA, but you also say you "don't know to what extent" your heart is damaged. Some of the on-going problems you are dealing with might be caused by on-going issues with the heart damage. While minor heart damage can be asymptomatic in some people, other people can have some pretty serious symptoms with relatively minor damage. Shortness of breath is a common symptom of congestive heart failure (CHF), and CHF is strong correlated with undiagnosed OSA. Have you been seen by a cardiologist? It's important for you to get the appropriate testing done to establish what kind of heart damage has been done and how much damage has been done. Once the type and extent of the damage has been properly diagnosed, a treatment plan can be developed. Treating the damaged heart should alleviate any symptoms that are being caused by the heart problems and that should make you feel better.

4) What other health issues do you have besides the OSA and the heart damage? Any other known medical issues?? Keep in mind your symptoms could easily be caused by something OTHER than undertreated OSA or CPAP adjustment problems. If you have other known medical conditions, is it possible that any of the ongoing problems are symptoms of those conditions becoming worse? Is it possible that some of your ongoing problems are being caused by side effects of prescriptions medicines that you are taking to manage other health conditions? If you take any medication on a daily basis, you should talk to the doctor who prescribed it and ask whether it might be causing problems with unrestorative sleep, anxiety, nausea, or shortness of breath. (These are all fairly common side affects for many medications.)

5) When was the last time you had a thorough general physical exam? If it's been a while since you've had a physical exam by your PCP, you need to have your whole body checked out. Things your PCP may need to do some testing to rule out include: Thyroid issues; low vitamin D level; asthma; daytime COPD; serious anxiety problems; etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ppowers,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Robysue said.
I just encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy. You are obviously benefitting by it so don't give up.
Best of luck and just keep going.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ppowers, welcome, the others have given you some good advise and heaps for you to look at and think about, a couple of things, try to stay positive which is difficult I know, many of us have been there and had that feeling of harming ourselves but life is actually pretty good once you find the cause of your problems and get treatment, CPAP may just be one part of it. My question is, do you have much stress, anxiety, worry in your life? Do you exercise, eat well and have good sleep hygiene? Please try all the things the others have suggested and ask any questions, keep using your CPAP and try not to despise it, it can be our best friend if we let it, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 4 214 1 hour ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 92 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 203 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.