[Symptoms] Still tired and sleepy
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: Still tired and sleepy
drpjfitz,

Welcome to the hose head club.I know you mentioned your tested AHI was around 30 and your current is around 6. As several have said, this is a great improvement, especially seeing as you have not been on therapy for long.

Another number to look at or consider is therapy hours. How many hours you are on the machine. I have that although my AHI is around 2.5 - 3.p for a 7 and 30 day average, there are some mornings I feel like I haven't got any sleep at all. Most of the time, these are days I went to bed around midnight and got up at 5. Needless to say, I did not get enough sleep. Like many have said, there are a myriad of reasons why we may feel sleepy even though the machine said we had a good night's sleep. I have a recliner in the living room that is possessed by a sleep inducing spell especially on Sunday afternoons.

Keep up with the therapy, take good notes and questions with you when you see the doc, and happy zzzz - you will eventually see improvement.

Homer
09-22-2014 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
drpjfitz Offline

Members

Machine: REMsta Pro C-flex+
Mask Make & Model: ResMed F10
Humidifier: Respironics heated
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I'm very good at advocating for myself in medical visits so that won't be a problem. It sounds like the biggest thing for me is to be as knowledgeable about my own experience with sleep apnea and the data on my CPAP.

I feel fairly ignorant and I would like to download the software mentioned. I have been afraid to take out the SD card prior to my appointment which is the only way I can "analyze" it through the software. I just didn't want to "lose" the data and don't know if I have to download the results and then "lose" that data, or whether it copies the data?

Pam
09-22-2014 02:14 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

It's ok Pam. When you take the card out of your machine be sure and lock it with the little switch on the side of the card. Then when you put it back in your machine be sure and unlock it. There is a problem with Windows 8.1 writing a file on the SDCard which then causes Resmed machines to have to reformat the card, but I have not heard of it being a problem with Respironics. But, setting the lock will keep your computer from having it's way with your files.
09-22-2014 02:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleep2Snore Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar
Mask Make & Model: Adam
Humidifier: REMstar or F&P HC150
CPAP Pressure: 18

Other Comments:

Yes, sound advice from earlier.
Make notes of how you feel each day and don't be afraid to say to the doctor that you still feel tired.
Also if your mask is not a good fit or it leaks your AHIs will go up.
Always discuss it with the doctor if you feel tired or if you feel it creeping back after a few years.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 02:24 PM by Sleep2Snore.)
09-22-2014 02:23 PM
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

Mask leaks that are high enough that the machine can not maintain the required pressure may also interfere in the ability of the machine to detect apnea events. The upshot is that with large mask leaks the recorded AHI may be higher or lower than it actually is.
09-22-2014 04:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
drpjfitz Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Thanks for all the great information, everyone. I tend to get anywhere from 7 1/2 to 9 hours--the longer times on the weekends. Even I've slept for 9 hours, I could easily take a nap.

As several of you have pointed out, I need to stick with this and hopefully feel better over time. The mask seems to be a good fit, but there have been times when I wake up because I hear a leak from the top of the mask. I sleep on my side which makes it more difficult with a full mask. But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

BTW, my Respironics is a REMstar Pro C-flex+ and I have a heated humidifier and hose. Is there more info besides that to add to my profile?

Pam
09-22-2014 08:11 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(09-22-2014 08:11 PM)drpjfitz Wrote:  But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

Pam

Yep, I've heard that about a zillion times. Usually because I was the one saying it.

Can't use the pillows because I breath through my mouth... My nose doesn't work right.......... Yep, been there done that.

I will tell you that once I broke down and listened to good old (and I do mean old) Herb, and bought a P10 mask my life improved dramatically.

Not only can I breath through my nose, the air flow actually helps to keep the sinuses open all night.

I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth from falling open, especially when I'm sleeping on my back, but that's ok. Some need it, some don't. Herb doesn't, but then Herb's kind of weird.
09-22-2014 08:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Buckeyedog Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(09-22-2014 08:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(09-22-2014 08:11 PM)drpjfitz Wrote:  But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

Pam

Yep, I've heard that about a zillion times. Usually because I was the one saying it.

Can't use the pillows because I breath through my mouth... My nose doesn't work right.......... Yep, been there done that.

I will tell you that once I broke down and listened to good old (and I do mean old) Herb, and bought a P10 mask my life improved dramatically.

Not only can I breath through my nose, the air flow actually helps to keep the sinuses open all night.

I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth from falling open, especially when I'm sleeping on my back, but that's ok. Some need it, some don't. Herb doesn't, but then Herb's kind of weird.

This!
09-22-2014 08:35 PM
drpjfitz Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Hmm... Maybe I should check into a chin strap. The nasal pillows would definitely help reduce my sore nose from the mask pressing on the bridge of it. And maybe cut down on the marks on my face?

So, I gotta watch Herb, eh?
09-22-2014 08:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(09-22-2014 08:45 PM)drpjfitz Wrote:  Hmm... Maybe I should check into a chin strap. The nasal pillows would definitely help reduce my sore nose from the mask pressing on the bridge of it. And maybe cut down on the marks on my face?

So, I gotta watch Herb, eh?

Yep... He's from Texas. You know how those Texans are.............
09-22-2014 08:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 517 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  When does the "tired" feeling go away? Cranberry Ray 8 478 11-30-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  New, very tired, and need help beckysmith 35 1,315 11-28-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Good stats, good sleep, but still tired... Lourens1190 14 856 11-03-2016 05:40 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [CPAP] still very tired and don't know what to do mlasham 30 1,483 10-10-2016 09:11 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 843 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  Can someone take a look at this Sleepy Head Data? crezman 19 836 09-12-2016 11:03 PM
Last Post: crezman