Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Still tired and sleepy
Still tired and sleepy
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and only been diagnosed/using CPAP for about a month. I've been fairly compliant with the CPAP but am still struggling with sleepiness and tiredness. The information on the Respironics System One indicates an AHI of about 6. Woult this be enough to cause ongoing sleepiness?

Thanks!

Pam
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still tired and sleepy
First Resperonics System One (PRS1) is like saying Ford. We need to know which model PRS1.
Next you need to do some, reading at the top of the forum page and download Sleepyhead software and learn to use it. There are folks here who will help.

Then you can fine tune your therapy.

Once you get to that level, it can take time to see results. Some folks are bright eyed there first morning on XPAP others take months. After 4 years, I have an appointment tomorrow with a sleep doc to ask that same question. My untreated AHI was 83. The past year my average was 1.7. I no longer nap behind the wheel but I still like a nap in the afternoon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pam, welcome to the site!

As BW suggests, it would be helpful if we knew you're exact model number. What we are trying to determine is if you have a "data capable" machine or not. That tells us whether or not we should nag you into downloading, installing, and using the Sleepyhead software.

You're AHI of 6 is not bad, but not as good as it could be. So futzing is probably indicated. But we need to know a little more before we could offer much helpful advice. In the meantime, if you have a good rap with your DME or Sleep Doc, you could ask them if they think a small upward adjustment in your pressure would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the guidance. I'll check my machine when I get home to get more specific details about the model. It's CPAP, not Bi-PAP but that's about all I know.

I don't have the Bluetooth on my machine, so I'm guessing I will need to remove the SD card and insert it into my computer. Will I lose the data by loading it into my computer? My first appointment post-CPAP with the sleep doctor is this Wednesday and I'm supposed to bring the SD card with me.

My untreated AHI was a little over 30 so I'm definitely doing better. I feel sleepy all day, but am at least able to get up for work. I'll doing some more reading and hope things improve.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the guidance. I'll check my machine when I get home to get more specific details about the model. It's CPAP, not Bi-PAP but that's about all I know.

I don't have the Bluetooth on my machine, so I'm guessing I will need to remove the SD card and insert it into my computer. Will I lose the data by loading it into my computer? My first appointment post-CPAP with the sleep doctor is this Wednesday and I'm supposed to bring the SD card with me.

My untreated AHI was a little over 30 so I'm definitely doing better. I feel sleepy all day, but am at least able to get up for work. I'll doing some more reading and hope things improve.

Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, your current AHI isn't real bad but it is still technically over the "treated" limit of 5.

(Note this is a pretty arbitrary 'limit' -- docs had to pick SOME number.)

Also, even once treated you need to be REALLY COMPLIANT for best results -- it's not as if you get 5 hours of GOOD sleep and the other time (bad sleep) doesn't count at all.

OSA is actively bad for you -- not just the sleep you are missing but the way it manifests (e.g., adrenaline is typically released to wake you up and this is bad for you on a regular basis.)

Even then (as also mentioned), some people don't get improvements right away but most take a few weeks to really feel better, and some don't get that result for months or even longer.

KEY: Use your machine 100% of the time -- make a commitment.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drpjfitz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I encourage you to just stick with your CPAP therapy, it does get better as you use it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish! I hadn't realized what a psychological process this all is--I find myself convince myself that it's OK to not use the CPAP after several hours at night. I just have to stick with it!
Herb--you described perfectly the way I have been bargaining with myself at night! For some reason, I never though I'd have sleep apnea because I'm slender. But, obviously, it knows no boundaries.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 11:59 AM)drpjfitz Wrote: Thanks for the guidance. I'll check my machine when I get home to get more specific details about the model. It's CPAP, not Bi-PAP but that's about all I know.

Since you're going to see your doc Wednesday, I'd wait to do anything until then.

Now, when you're in front of the good doc, he/she will probably say something like "how do you feel now that you're using the cpap?" You're answer is two-fold, first tell him how you feel but end the sentence with "I see my AHI is still running about 6. What do we need to do in order to bring it down to something well below 5, preferably 1 or 2 at the most?"

Docs like to listen closely to their patients. That's why when they walk in the room the first thing they say is usually "How are you today." People have been trained since birth to reply: "Fine." (Message received, nothing more needs done here.... moving on to my tee time.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 12:32 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ...
Since you're going to see your doc Wednesday, I'd wait to do anything until then.

Now, when you're in front of the good doc, he/she will probably say something like "how do you feel now that you're using the cpap?" You're answer is two-fold, first tell him how you feel but end the sentence with "I see my AHI is still running about 6. What do we need to do in order to bring it down to something well below 5, preferably 1 or 2 at the most?"

Docs like to listen closely to their patients. That's why when they walk in the room the first thing they say is usually "How are you today." People have been trained since birth to reply: "Fine." (Message received, nothing more needs done here.... moving on to my tee time.)

Re-read Retired_Guy's post above -- a couple of times.

EVERYONE should read it a couple of time before each visit to the doc.

What RG says is ENOUGH, but to take it to another level, MAKE NOTES each day (or week or month for longer times between appointments), and take the NOTES to the appointment.

This gives you the opportunity to clarify exactly what you mean by each item, and the certainly you will not forget to mention something important.

At times, I have even had docs just ask to look at the sheet and deal with each item very efficiently.

Think how automatic it is to have this exchange:

"How you doing?" "Fine, thanks, how you doing Doc?"

"Well, see you later...."
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 34 3 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 185 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 175 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.